Block Heater Question/Confusion

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #11  
JK96
As it is a new tractor, let the dealer sort it out. Or take your outer plug to NAPA and find a straight in one for the power. Your dealer should be able to help too. Looks like a universal female connection on the block to me. Hope this helps

on edit - Amazon.com: Kat's 285 18/3 Gauge, 5' Straight in Replacement Cord: Automotive

Also I cant tell from your picture, but can the block plug be rotated buy 90 degrees - again a dealer issue, but it is not good to have that hose underneath so close and rubbing depending on where it goes,

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion
The cord you linked to may just work. Thank you.

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #13  
The block heater use is typical - plug in to warm the engine. The hydraulic oil heater is a heat maintainer. "The owners manual for my 275 magnum says the oil heater is only supposed to be used to keep oil warm. Not to try to get cold oil warmed up because it will scorch the oil right around the heater." Engine coolant has very low viscosity even in sub-zero temperatures. Hydraulic/transmission oil, however, will become very viscous in cold temperatures so the oil will not circulate freely like coolant will in an engine block where hot coolant rising will create a natural fluid movement. Oil at the very cold temperatures will not have the natural fluid movement and the oil can be scorched before circulating away from the heater. Plugging in while the fluid is still thin due to heat and the temperature will be maintained at a level where the engine will turn over easily and any shifting will be easier.

The block heater use is typical - plug in to warm the engine. The hydraulic oil heater is a heat maintainer. "The owners manual for my 275 magnum says the oil heater is only supposed to be used to keep oil warm. Not to try to get cold oil warmed up because it will scorch the oil right around the heater." Engine coolant has very low viscosity even in sub-zero temperatures. Hydraulic/transmission oil, however, will become very viscous in cold temperatures so the oil will not circulate freely like coolant will in an engine block where hot coolant rising will create a natural fluid movement. Oil at the very cold temperatures will not have the natural fluid movement and the oil can be scorched before circulating away from the heater. Plugging in while the fluid is still thin due to heat and the temperature will be maintained at a level where the engine will turn over easily and any shifting will be easier.

Thanks for the information. I would have never thought about the hydraulic oil scorching if plugged in cold unless had had caught it in the manual. Powerscol thank you for the link and info. I found exactly what you suggested at our local O'Reilly's store. Straight plug without the 90 on the cord. Problem solved.

14814243672291510548175_31525689156_o.jpg

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #15  
Glad to help - others have done the same for me. That's what is great about this place.

The holiday best to you and your family

Merry Christmas everyone

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #16  
Years ago I ordered the optional heaters on my JD. The block heater was ok but small, the hydro oil heater hung from the lowest point of the rear axle.
I wound up removing the oil heater and just plugged the hole. I also installed a large heater in the lower rad hose and a battery warmer. The three cords are all spliced together and come out as one plug. About 750 watts total but I only need to switch them on for 1/2 hour at 30 below.

/ Block Heater Question/Confusion #17  
Call the dealer, you should not have to mess with that on a new machine.

Call the dealer, you should not have to mess with that on a new machine.

I was able to find a cord that fit thanks to a link by another member. Didnt realize it was a common connector. See my post #14.