Block Heater question

/ Block Heater question #1  

bstrom

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota b2620
Is it ok to have the block heater plugged in with the engine running? it was so cold here, 10 below zero, that even after plugging the block heater for over an hour the engine just wouldn't accept any fuel and would only idle with no power. Kubota B2620. Finally I plugged the block heater back in with it idling, thru a cover over the hood and the the thing finally warmed up enough to work.

Friend of mine said you should unplug the block heater before starting because the element could hit an air bubble in the coolant and fry itself. Any truth to that?

/ Block Heater question #2  
I run my truck with block heater plugged in. The block heater is on a timer so it kicks on 2 hours before I leave. I start the truck remotely inside house with block heater on. Before I leave for work, I unplug block heater while engine is running, then leave. Been doing this since 2004. Philip.

/ Block Heater question #3  
the mfg. of the block heater will tell you not to run with it plugged in, more worried about cold coolant hitting it than an air bubble.

/ Block Heater question #4  
While the element is hot it would tend to be more fragile and exposed to vibration damage.
Any pockets of air that might be present could result in heat surges and burn the element.
With engine running the coolant would get hotter faster and result in 'runaway' heat equal to burnout.

All in all just wiser to unplug ASAP as the alternative of installing a new heater at -25 is no fun, been there done that!. (I keep a spare on hand now
In my case I suspect that corrosion simply ate away the copper casing of the element. Naturally no auto parts had my element in stock so I was caught with some creative ideas to start my tractor until such time as I could obtain a new element.
That is when I learned that the magnetic elements are totally useless.(24 hrs proved that point)
I resorted to using a 4000 watt construction heater aimed at the engine and an old blanket to cover the engine.
Next time (hopefully never) I'll try an industrial 'hair drier' to heat the intake air. Supposedly that works.

/ Block Heater question #5  
Is it ok to have the block heater plugged in with the engine running? it was so cold here, 10 below zero, that even after plugging the block heater for over an hour the engine just wouldn't accept any fuel and would only idle with no power. Kubota B2620. Finally I plugged the block heater back in with it idling, thru a cover over the hood and the the thing finally warmed up enough to work.

Friend of mine said you should unplug the block heater before starting because the element could hit an air bubble in the coolant and fry itself. Any truth to that?

At -10F one hour of heater time is 5 hours too little. Amsoil winter diesel in the crankcase would improve cold start lubrication.

/ Block Heater question #6  
Is it ok to have the block heater plugged in with the engine running? it was so cold here, 10 below zero, that even after plugging the block heater for over an hour the engine just wouldn't accept any fuel and would only idle with no power.

I dunno but this sounds more like a fuel issue than a block heater problem.

It was -22 F here on Saturday and my tractor started no problem after pre-heating w/ block heater for 1 1/2 hrs.

/ Block Heater question #7  
My Bobcat started with a little difficulty at -15F and no block heat.
Let the glow plug go through one full cycle and started cranking.
About the fourth crank she started chugging and after that she seemed fine.
It was the coldest I had tried to start her since new.

215 hours on it now

/ Block Heater question #8  
Biggest problem of leaving it plugged in is that long long extension cord.

You may also note that if started while plugged in you may have a cord trailing behind!

/ Block Heater question #9  
I dunno but this sounds more like a fuel issue than a block heater problem.

It was -22 F here on Saturday and my tractor started no problem after pre-heating w/ block heater for 1 1/2 hrs.

Bingo, Gelled fuel. Put some heat to the fuel filter it should straighten out in short order.

Fred

/ Block Heater question
Bingo, Gelled fuel. Put some heat to the fuel filter it should straighten out in short order.

Fred

Yeah that's what I started thinking too. I do put Power Service white in the fuel it but maybe I forgot on this 5 gallon can full. I actually did think about heating up the fuel filter because it did seem like a gelled fuel issue the way it would not take any throttle. Then I thought " nah that won't work". Guess I am not as stupid as I thought.

i do think maybe a couple hours on the block heater might be better for the engine and I think I will unplug it before starting. Although I do have a 100 ft 12 gauge cord:laughing:.

Thanks guys for all the responses.