Block heater

/ Block heater #1  

joe04785

Silver Member
Tractor
XR3037
So I was wondering where to get a block heater for my XR3037? This is what I have on it now? Never seen one like this before.

Attachments

• IMG_2433.jpeg
    IMG_2433.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
   / Block heater #2  
That looks like a coolant drain for the block.

/ Block heater #4  
Where to get one? I'd try your LS dealer, if you value your time more than a few extra dollars, as they'll have one already configured for your machine. If you want to go the DIY rate, look for something around 400 watts with a plug diameter matching that of the most conveniently-accessible freeze plug on your block, and a cord of suitable length to dangle out from under the hood shroud.

These things usually take only 20 minutes, or thereabouts, to warm the engine sufficiently for an easier start on a cold day. Since my coolant is mixed for weather way below what we'll ever see, I only ever bother plugging it in 20 minutes before using the tractor on days below 10F. On snow days, this means plugging the tractor in first, and then shoveling the walks before firing up the tractor to do the driveway.

/ Block heater #5  
Easy way is to use a magnetic heater. The block heaters go into the freeze plug holes..... so you have to remove the coolant, then remove a freeze plug, install the heater.
The heater has to be sized to your specific size of freeze plug.

Much easier to put on an external pan heater.

As winterdeere stated, an LS dealer can get you a specific block heater for your tractor.

/ Block heater #6  
Much easier to put on an external pan heater.
Yeah, easier on initial install. But installing a regular block heater is a pretty quick project for most, and it's forever there and out of the way, zero maintenance.

I think I did my last one in about 30 minutes, the longest task of which was washing a 5 gallon bucket clean enough to use for the coolant retrieval/re-use. The freeze plugs knock out quick and easy with a drift and a hammer, then channel-locks to pull it free.

Note, if trying this, do NOT drill a freeze plug. There's likely a cylinder wall just 1/8" behind some of them, and you don't want to be drilling into that. A drift near one edge will cock it sideways, then channel locks pull it out.

/ Block heater #7  
When looking for a location for a block heater observe and figure out were the cylinders and pistons are and do not try to install a heater were the block and the cylinders are the closest.
With that oil cooler were it is you could use one of the tank type heater they work very well.

This style has a pump and will heat an engine up quickly;
1693266856892.png

this style is supposed to circulate from hot water pulsing out of the heater, they do work but not near as good as the pump style.
1693267006424.png

I have had little success with the magnetic heaters and it's been hit or miss with the lower radiator hose heaters.

/ Block heater
Thanks everyone. I have one ordered.

/ Block heater #9  
My dealer installed a Lower Radiator Hose heater. Works well.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Block heater
I just received my block heater and was wondering which engine knock out it should go in. Left side or right side of the engine. Thanks