Block heater

/ Block heater #21  
Thanks to all. I ended up finding one that allows you to program the cut-in and cut-out temperatures.
Has anyone used a heat blanket to keep the diesel from gelling?
We still don't know what temps you're dealing with. That would determine many of these answers.

Here, we use "winter fuel" and still treat it with Power Service. Never an issue.

IF you get *real* cold, I would NOT use anything like a heat blanket or a heated fuel filter to try and keep your fuel above a certain temp. Reason for that is, sooner or later you have to unplug everything and actually go out and use the thing. Outside. Where it's "cold".

Treat your fuel for your local ambient temps and you will be fine.

/ Block heater #22  
We still don't know what temps you're dealing with. That would determine many of these answers.

Here, we use "winter fuel" and still treat it with Power Service. Never an issue.

IF you get *real* cold, I would NOT use anything like a heat blanket or a heated fuel filter to try and keep your fuel above a certain temp. Reason for that is, sooner or later you have to unplug everything and actually go out and use the thing. Outside. Where it's "cold".

Treat your fuel for your local ambient temps and you will be fine.
Well, we get real cold here, and if I didn’t use block heater in dodge, ford and tractor, the vehicles might not start at all.

when I don’t use block heater, I have to cycle glow plugs 4-5 times to get rigs started if I forget to plug them in.

but I’m in north idaho…near canadian border

/ Block heater #23  
Well, we get real cold here, and if I didn’t use block heater in dodge, ford and tractor, the vehicles might not start at all.

when I don’t use block heater, I have to cycle glow plugs 4-5 times to get rigs started if I forget to plug them in.

but I’m in north idaho…near canadian border
I was responding to the OP there, grs

/ Block heater #25  
So its been below freezing at night for about a month now. I have a block heater so I just plugged it in. Having it plugged in every night that is is freezing out wont hurt the engine YES ?
Thanks, Joe :)
Replacing the petroleum based engine oil and transmission fluid with quality synthetic will protect the engine from premature wear as it will remain fluid in extreme cold temperatures.

/ Block heater #26  
Replacing the petroleum based engine oil and transmission fluid with quality synthetic will protect the engine from premature wear as it will remain fluid in extreme cold temperatures.
We recommend against running a block heater for an extended period of time when the tractor is not going to be used. For extended periods of heating, the heated block accelerates the oil run from the cylinder walls causing a dry start. If you are using a block heater, have a way to control how long the block is heated before starting to minimize the oil runs on the cylinder walls.

Second on the Synthetic Oil and Diesel Fuel Treatment. The full synthetic Rotella T6 15w40 is what we use, after break-in, for cold weather runs. We also use the Power Service (white bottle) Diesel Treatment year round in all of our tractors.

/ Block heater #28  
I have used block heaters, radiator hose heaters, battery warmers and the like. My favorite package is a combination block heater and battery warmer that was a factory option on my 2005 Ford Ranger. I like radiator / heater hose heaters the least and use them only as a last resort or as a supplement to aid in warmups. Combine your block heater and battery warmer with a heavy duty electromechanical timer that can handle the amps you use. The timer saves money in the long run, you don’t need to power up all night and the timers last, mine is from the 1980’s.

/ Block heater #29  
You can buy an cheap out door time set it to go off hour or so before you need to use tractor we have a magnetic block heater set up that way other wise having heater constantly plugged in heater will burn out after a while

/ Block heater #30  
So its been below freezing at night for about a month now. I have a block heater so I just plugged it in. Having it plugged in every night that is is freezing out wont hurt the engine YES ?
Thanks, Joe :)