Block Heaters

/ Block Heaters #11  
I'd have to mildly disagree with you on the inline heaters. Drawing on my experience of a lifetime "up north" including 3 years in the high arctic ... the inlines really help in application where you want to avoid hot spots and want the heat spread as far as possible.
Look at it this way ...
Block heater - sits in the water jacket in the block and heats the coolant in the area of the element ... but doesn't distribute the heat except by radiant action ... so never heats a very large area. Works "ok". Doesn't do a lot to give you heat inside the vehicle until the engine is warm ...
in-line or circulating heater - both passive and active applications ... heats more coolant because it's designed to sit in a position where the heated water rises and is replaced by cooler water below.
In the arctic ... we thought it was fantastic when circ heaters arrived about the time they started testing synthetic fuels ... became much easier to use vehicles in the winter (much easier than using a tiger torch to thaw out the oil pan ..)

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Block Heaters #12  
Art:
I may be mistaken but on the big rigs they mainly use an inline with circulating pump.

Egon

/ Block Heaters #13  
The only kind of engine heater that I will ever buy is the kind that I have on my 166 hp Perkins genset. It is a thermostat circulating pump heater that connects to heater hose connections on the engine. You can touch anywhere on the engine and it is warm just like it was just run. No matter how cold it gets, the engine will start at only a touch to the switch or when it kicks on by itself. That is real important for a standby generator that is required to pull full power at startup

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ Block Heaters
Hey, how do you all like this? Replying to my own post!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I don't have a block heater I have a in-line hose heater according to my dealer. So the mystery is solved!!!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Never realized that there were so many ways to heat a diesel engine from block heaters to minature furnaces. Thanks to all the reply's. It's nice to know that we have an almost unlimited tractor experiance base right at our finger tips!!!!
Have a nice night!!!!

Al
Pumpkin Village Settlement/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Block Heaters #15  
I have some ideas that might work even better than timer. Check post in Kabota Owning