Blocking the clutch pedal when parked?

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #21  
Humidiitity / moisture content of the ambient air will always be the determining factor as it relates to a clutch bonding to the flywheel in all cases.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #22  
Years back the local Massey dealer got about 12 new, zero hour, orchard model tractors from a dealer in New Jersey.
They had been on the other dealers lot for about a year. The local dealer had to change all the clutches. He said it was because of the proximity to the ocean and humidity where they had been.
We've had more tractors than I can remember over the years and never had a single one with a clutch issue from standing too long.
Mind you, when not being used for more than a day or two they are inside.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #23  
You guys got me wondering if I was supposed to be using the little hook that swings up to catch the clutch pedal. I went through the manual for a Kubota L. It shows that hook in a diagram in both the "Operating" and "Maintenance" section but doesn't mention it.

Finally, at the very back under "STORAGE" this diagram is printed again, and it reads, "If you intend to store your tractor for an extended period of time, follow the procedures outlined below." Number 7 on the list is "Keep the clutch disengaged. If the clutch is left engaged for a long period of time, the clutch plate may rust, making clutch disengagement impossible at the next operation."

This overall storage procedure involves a general once-over, changing the oil, greasing exposed hydraulic cylinders, removing the battery, and putting blocks under the axles to get the tires off the ground. So while Kubota does recognize the potential for the clutch to seize up, I'd say this only applies to really long-term storage.
Yep. Was going to post the same thing from my L5240 manual. Back when I stored the tractor offsite in a friend's barn, I would use the hook over the winter as I wouldn't use the tractor in the winter on the property. Haven't done that since then even though now it sits more in the summer as it is used for snow plowing most heavily.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #24  
On my old MT180D that sits for long periods, I place a steel wedge on the clutch arm just below the floorboard. The return spring holds the wedge in place and the clutch disk can't rust/bond/seize.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #25  
My MX5200 owners manual shows use of a wooden block to hold the clutch open for storage. My reaction to that is what?????

My Yanmar 226d built in the 1980s at least has a metal hold down clasp on the clutch pedal! What would it have cost Kubota to put a metal clasp on there?

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #26  
I had a stuck clutch one time on my Ford tractor. It was stored in a barn with a dirt floor for a few months after I bought it’s replacement. Decided it would be a good to get it out and take it for a spin. It predated neutral safety switches, and having the tractor lurch towards the barn wall when I hit the key was pretty exciting. It also required using a phone-a-friend to manually rock it back and forth, while inside the barn, to break it free. Since that day I’ve had a strong preference for backing my tractor into the barn with its front end pointing towards the door opening.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #27  
I had a 1941 Dodge ton and a half. Parked it for a year cause I didn;t need it.
The clutch rusted together. (Humid NE) . I thought I could get it freed up by bump starting and driving. But no, the friction plate material shredded.

It wasn;t too bad a job replacing the disc from underneath, but MAN, that transmission was heavy!

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #28  
Just browsing around the internet tonight, I find some posts about clutches rusting to the flywheel. People said some Kubotas even came with a block of wood meant to hold the clutch pedal down when parked to keep this from happening.

I've never heard of this before. My tractor (L2350) is parked outside and does not get used very often. Is this really something to worry about?View attachment 820766View attachment 820767
My Kubota 4330 has a little thing down at the clutch pedal to hook and keep it down. Mine stays ohm the go all time

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #29  
My L3400 has a drop down lever to block the clutch open for storage. Never used it, but it's there if desired.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #30  
For what it's worth, I grew up in my dad's farm equipment shop and saw a LOT of the old Oliver and Farmall tractors, as well as a few Ford, Fergusson, and even a few JDs. I recall not ONE incident of a stuck clutch. All this in a day that most machines were kept outside. Wonder why it's an issue on the newer machines.