Blood on my new tractor!

/ Blood on my new tractor! #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
After a total of about 1600 hrs on various tractors, I had my first "incident" Thursday. I was clearing the overgrown edge of a woods, wading in with a chainsaw first to get the big stuff, then backing in with the bush hog for the rest. One of the big things in there was a 3 inch diameter grapevine. I cut it once and threw both sides of the vine out of the path I was clearing. Later, when backing in with the bush hog, the BH housing apparently found the attached end of the vine and continued to push it out of the way. I don't remember now if I was aware of this as it was happening because, up until now, I wouldn't be concerned by it. After all, the worse thing that could happen is that it might slip under the BH housing and make a lot of noise, right? No.

When ever we push on brush with either end of a tractor, we are compressing a bunch of springs. Given the chance to escape, most of those springs don't have enough stroke to get us. Or they hit the tractor, implement or other brush. Occasionally one will come near enough to briefly get your attention. These are warning shots.

This vine finally broke free from the rear corner of the BH, raised up in the air as it rolled back into shape, and snapped toward me. The sawed end of it caught me on one eyebrow in a perfect strike. It even dodged the roll bar. One trip to the ER, ten stitches, and a black eye later, everything is fine.

Just food for thought,

John

/ Blood on my new tractor! #2  
Thanks for the "heads up". Glad you are fixed up and on the mend. Too close to an eye to be too comfortable about the incident.

/ Blood on my new tractor! #3  
sounds like maybe a logger-style safety helmet is in order for work that intense!!!
It's amazing how many times things happen that are 'close calls' !!!!

/ Blood on my new tractor! #4  
John, glad you were not injured too bad.

You might also want to consider some kind of removable guard that you could put on the back of the tractor when brush hogging. A guard does limit visability somewhat, but offers more "full body protection" than a helmet with faceshield would.

/ Blood on my new tractor! #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You might also want to consider some kind of removable guard that you could put on the back of the tractor when brush hogging. )</font>

Bill,

On our recent trip south, I noticed that the state highway mowers in Illinois all had some kind of screen mesh attached to their ROPS. I mentioned to my wife that "Henro" must of gotten a message to them, because you had posted pictures of your setup that you had made. Of course, these guys were running what appeared to be 10' or 12' cutters on the back of their tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah. She asked me what "Henro" stood for. I tried to remember how you had explained what it meant, but I couldn't. So I just said that it was Japanes for Strange Bird ! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Blood on my new tractor!
Thanks for the comments, Everyone. Henro, I like your guard idea now better than when you posted it earlier. I don't remember if it extended wider than the ROPS but I think this vine came around the front of the ROPS in a wide arc. The trick would be getting enough protection without catching on every low limb.

John

/ Blood on my new tractor! #7  
If you guys keep posting stuff like this, pretty soon Henro is going to have a fully armored tractor with ground mapping radar and a periscope. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Blood on my new tractor! #8  
<font color="blue"> So I just said that it was Japanes for Strange Bird ! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gary,

In this case, rather than something being "lost in the translation" I think something accurate may have been gained in your translation of the Japanese... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John, my rear shield fits inside my rops...wasn't thinking about left or right hooks being thrown by vines. Actually I only deal with a couple acres brush hogging, so what I have is probably overkill already...

Varmintmist,

I must admit I have toyed with the idea of some side shields that I could mount to my "head protector" with hinges, and which could be held up with gas springs until I needed to lower them. When up, they would offer a wider support for my cloth canopy...when down, they would prevent dancing vines and such from striking me. But since I don't use the brush cutter much...guess I won't act on that one... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Blood on my new tractor! #9  
jmc, Sorry to hear about that vine thing, them nasty bushogs will throw things at you from time to time ,Must always wear your protective gear
base113_l.jpg

/ Blood on my new tractor! #10  
Hello John,
Sometimes, you don't see it coming!
Last summer I was mowing under some low-hanging grape vines and found a wasp nest. I removed my hat as I inched under the vine, steering with one hand and moving the vine out of the way with the other hand while ducking the whole thing. I never saw the nest or them coming until I felt the pain. Ended up with about 40 or so stings on my wrist and forearm.
A half hour later, I started getting a fever and my arm was swollen. My sister-in-law [an RN] told me to take a Benadryl. And it knocked me out, but it did the trick. I felt like had been "tenderized".
Did no more mowing that day.
phil