Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road #21  
I live on an old farm along a two lane road and people blow their clippings on the road all the time. Must admit that when I mow along the edge of my property I mow "facing traffic" which blows clippings onto the road. I like to be able to see the traffic coming at me as people drive like maniacs on this road however I stop mowing if traffic is passing by. After saying all that
*I do take the blower and get the debris off the road.
I don't bother because by then the first 1 to 3 cars has already blown it all back of the road into the yard.

/ Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road #22  
If it is light fluffy dry stuff. And there is a breeze.

If it is wet, or just nice green stuff, it does not move easily. Especially if there is a lot of it.

What Dargo described was enough to cover the striped line in the middle of the road. That is a lot. Being a motorcyclist, that can be scary.

And generally, it is courtesy to not blow a bunch of stuff in the road in the first place.

I don't bother because by then the first 1 to 3 cars has already blown it all back of the road into the yard.

/ Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road #24  
It's really pretty easy. How about I bag 12 acres of lawn at my place and use a couple of dump trucks to spread it across the road for a half a mile or so in each direction where you live. When you slide off the road, because I created an unsafe condition on the road, I tell you that "I don't really see it as a big issue".
Where did I say anything about 12 bags?

/ Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road #25  
What a terrible outcome for that guy! I have about 350' of grass frontage along a gravel road, and when I mow it's always away from the road just to be neat about it. Never thought about the safety considerations until now.
I do see a lot of grass cuttings on all the roads around here--better be more cautious about driving through them. Another problem is the people who mow right along the pavement blindly trusting that anyone pasing by will see them in time and move over. I've seen some close calls there too. Mike.

/ Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road #26  
Just to show you what a little grass (hay) can do on the road: I was pulling a trailer load of hay across the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway (the longest bridge in the world) going 60 mph and a small square bale of hay fell off even though I thought I had my load well secured. I did not notice it and kept going.

It fell all apart when it hit the road at 60 mph and spread out on the road. A couple cars drove over it with no problem and then one woman freaked out when she saw hay on the road and slammed on her brakes. The car behind her ran into her and a third car ran into the second one. Luckily no one was hurt.

When I got about 20 miles farther down the bridge a cop stopped me and told me what happened and gave me a citation for not securing my load well enough.

The first car had their damages paid for by the insurance of the second car. The second car had their damages paid for by the insurance of the third car and the third car sued me for his damages and my insurance company paid him off.

/ Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road #27  
I love ridding my motorcycle and anyone that rides knows we constantly have to look out for everything. When some dork blows ANYTHING into the road it creates an issue. I don't know how many dorks I've gone past to have them blowing crap into my lane. Common sense seems to have just blown away right along with responsibility and grass clippings. If you are blowing crap into the road please stop your lawn is not as important as a life.

/ Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road #28  
20 20, I agree, I don't know how many times I have been on my bike only to round a corner and there is an entire sea of green on the road. I haven't laid it down because I know enough to be prepared when it comes to what's around the corner, but I've seen plenty of the guys on crotch rocktets bite it when they hit that stuff! If you wouldn't blow it on to your own driveway, then why blow it on the road?

/ Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road

Nothing personal, but you may very well go to jail. Especially if you express your cavalier attitude towards a law enforcement officer when he is asking you why you created a hazard that caused someone to crash. I assume, based upon your comments, that it wouldn't bother you any if you literally killed someone with your lack of common courtesy and failure to abide by the law? You're on your own here pal. Not one judge in the country is going to see things your way when a prosecutor explains how his/her client was injured/killed due to your gross negligence and you will likely be convicted of involuntary homicide and sent away based on legal precedent. Have a good one. When someone cares that little for their fellow man, I have to agree, they rate the "ignore" button. Buh bye!

/ Blowing your lawn trimmings onto the road #30  
I always cut to blow it back to the lawn and if some gets on the road I go over it and the MMM will dispose of it for me. Never thought it could be illegal or trouble , just didn't seem right to leave it there.

Of course drivers on our road thing it is perfectly fine to toss garbage to our ditch. Weekly I pick up 8 or more drink cans and such, once there was a whole birthday cake in a box, the other day two buckets half full of human *****.

Status
Not open for further replies.