Blown headgasket

/ Blown headgasket #1  

professor

Gold Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 416S John Deere LX280, John Deere Z225 zero turn yanmar 1401 , Oliver 550 Special, Oliver 75 Lawn Tractor, New Holland 3930 4WD, Mitsubishi BDF2 Dozer
My YM 1401 has started overheating and pushing water into the recovery bottle. Yesterday I tilled about 30 minutes and afterward I checked the radiator and block temp. The radiator read 233 F and the block 235 F. I see no oil in radiator nor antifreeze in the oil. I started the tractor this mornibg and took the rad. cap off. There was a lot of bubbling and sudsing in the radiator. I think this is probably a sure indicator of a blown headgasket. I would appreciate your opinion. If it is the head gasket would you do a complete over haul? I have owned this tractor for 16 years and it has been trouble free. I think it is worth repair because it has Firestone turf tires and approved ROPS.

/ Blown headgasket #3  
What Norm said, just replace the head gasket.

You can inspect the head but I don't expect you will find any problem.

/ Blown headgasket #4  
my guess is that your radiator is clogged up which is what led to this. tilling is not that hard on a tractor unless is horendously oversized.

have a radiator shop check and "rod" yours out. You may have to go to the old shop with an old guy still there possibly in the schetch part of town as thats where they always are.