Blown PTO/mower strike

/ Blown PTO/mower strike #11  
Johnny:
Am I missing something? Did they come out and replace the shear bolt and then you could continue hogging? If so then then the shear bolt did it's job and there should be no charge whatsoever. I beleve that it is to be expected that the shear bolt will do it's job from time to time as people hit all types of stuff. I always add 2 to the number of hash marks to get the grade. None makes it a 2, 3 make it a 5, 6 marks make it an 8. Most people use a 2 or a 5. They might have used an 8 so they didn't have to come running out as much. If the hog worked after the shear bolt replacement, you owe then nothing !!!!! Jason

/ Blown PTO/mower strike
I guess I kind of complicated the explanation. First, I called the mechanic out to find out where the lose grade-8 bolt laying on top of the deck mower was supposed to go. He found the missing hole-- it was being used as a shear-bolt on the deck mower. He replaced it with a grade-5 bolt, remarking that it was not the right one, but that it would be better than the Grade-8. He left and I got on the mower and promptly ran over a tire (without rim in deep grass). The grade-5 shear bolt DID NOT DO IT'S JOB! IT DID NOT SHEAR!-- and the PTO was damaged. By the way, I like the way you add "two" to the hash marks to come up with the grade.

Tracy

/ Blown PTO/mower strike #13  
I gotta think that I would only feel responsible for any damage that occurred downstream of the shear bolt. If the bolt did not shear either it was a defective bolt, it was installed incorrectly or the pto was ready to let go at any moment anyway.

Jeff

/ Blown PTO/mower strike #14  
Not trying to stir up any more foreboding. But if that shear bolt failed to releive the shock. It could have traveled both ways and possibly damaged the pto at the tractor end also. So if it was the rental ccompanies responsibility for not properly replaceing the shear bolt, they may have placed themselves in a position of responsibe liabilty for any repairs to your tractor. Even if your tractor is not damaged just this type of explanation might help you convince them that the cost of repair is not your responsibility.

/ Blown PTO/mower strike #15  
I have to agree with Jeff, that shear bolt should have protected the driveline, perhaps as others have stated, the driveline was ready to go anyway. Have they come after you for the money ?

/ Blown PTO/mower strike
No the big guys with the dirty hands and bent noses have not showed up on my porch step. I hear this sometimes takes a few months though. The rental bill had a footnote that said I would be billed for the damage to the PTO when the work was done.

/ Blown PTO/mower strike #17  
Johnny, if the repairman represented the rental company, and you can prove he installed a grade 5 or stronger shear bolt, I would tell them to sue me. You have a great court case.

/ Blown PTO/mower strike #18  
Having a relative working at the rental place may complicate things. In the interest of family bliss, it might be better to pay the bill and chalk it up to experience......unless you don't like that relative anyway./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ Blown PTO/mower strike
Yeah, at least I might just pay some of it to keep things tight.