Blown Turbos and bad injectors

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
I am starting this posting to see just have many Kioti owners have ad to deal with bad turbos and bad injectors. Keep it simple so that everyone can see who is having or who has had issues. Ill start this off,

Jim R. 430 hours bad #2 injector and oil in the intake hose. Injector replaced. Told that the oil in the intake hose is normal. 686 hours blown turbo seal oil in the intake hose still.

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #2  
I hope this isn't too far off-topic but with our supercharged 3800 Series II V-6 the prominent cause of seal/turbo failure was from not letting the turbo spin down before shutting off the engine. As a prevention this is to prolong seal life by allowing the bearings to cool while oil supply continues.

30 seconds idle at 1000-1200 rpm or less depending on engine type seems to work.

As for injectors, depending on location there may be a rebuilder who'll clean & certify and recommend replacement for any that are beyond help. Last I checked an outfit in Saginaw asked $45 per to rebuild with a 3-day or less turn-around.

btw, my Kioti isn't orange and does not have a turbo. Three injectors.

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #3  
I hope this isn't too far off-topic but with our supercharged 3800 Series II V-6 the prominent cause of seal/turbo failure was from not letting the turbo spin down before shutting off the engine. As a prevention this is to prolong seal life by allowing the bearings to cool while oil supply continues.

30 seconds idle at 1000-1200 rpm or less depending on engine type seems to work.

As for injectors, depending on location there may be a rebuilder who'll clean & certify and recommend replacement for any that are beyond help. Last I checked an outfit in Saginaw asked $45 per to rebuild with a 3-day or less turn-around.

Ya know what. When I was shopping for tractors I looked at the New Holland work master 35 , and it had on the dash to let it idle for a minute before shutting it down. That must of been for the turbo? I wonder if the New Holland and Kioti turbo are similar?

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #4  
Me obviously.

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #5  
2016 NX4510. Bought new in Nov. 2018. Sudden regens every 2 to 3 hours at about 400 hours and eventually limp mode. Replaced one injector and went to 8 to 10 hours between regens. Noticed oil seeping from turbo hose, and subsequently took off hose to see oil was leaking from turbo. Turbo replaced at 440 hours and since getting regens further apart, now around 25 hours. Now at 505 hours and all seems OK.

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #6  
2016 NX4510. Bought new in Nov. 2018. Sudden regens every 2 to 3 hours at about 400 hours and eventually limp mode. Replaced one injector and went to 8 to 10 hours between regens. Noticed oil seeping from turbo hose, and subsequently took off hose to see oil was leaking from turbo. Turbo replaced at 440 hours and since getting regens further apart, now around 25 hours. Now at 505 hours and all seems OK.

I have read in the past that really cold weather can be hard on turbo oil seals and you should always let them warm up for a couple of minutes at least before going anything over idle as well as a proper cool down. Also running the thinnest synthetic oil called for can be a big help in the winter. Running a "summer" oil and changing to a "winter" oil may cost a little more, but new turbos are not cheap either.

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #7  
As far as Kioti, I have been reading about several issues with injectors, turbo's and HST transmission issues over the past couple of years on the NX series.
Just my opinion, but it mostly appears to be the NX series.
Don't recall reading about all the issues on the other models.

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #8  
I have read in the past that really cold weather can be hard on turbo oil seals and you should always let them warm up for a couple of minutes at least before going anything over idle as well as a proper cool down. Also running the thinnest synthetic oil called for can be a big help in the winter. Running a "summer" oil and changing to a "winter" oil may cost a little more, but new turbos are not cheap either.

Yes, very good advice. I run 0W40 synthetic, have a block heater, and let tractor warm at idle for at least 10 minutes, and let it cool for several minutes when done my work

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #9  

Really off base on this analogy. The 3800 is supercharged, as you already stated so there is no turbocharger to spool up and spool down. The supercharger is run off of the crank shaft while the turbos on cars are run off of the exhaust.

/ Blown Turbos and bad injectors #10  
'80s Buick Grand National 3800 turbo was not mentioned, so apologies for the omission which is far more relevant. :eek:

Disclaimer: Hired into Buick V-8/V-6 Fact 36 as 0300 assembly worker in '76, (I was an assemblyy supervisor during the GN-turbo years. :rolleyes:) retired as skilled trades 6940 Toolmaker sharpening cutters that machined cases (blocks), heads, crankshafts, etc for Fact 36 as a primary customer of our onsite support plant.

Anyway, IMO 'high tech' doesn't mean better in all ways. I may work 'em hard, but I won't 'put em away wet'. Got auxiliary CPU cooler, transmission cooler, etc? Let 'em work from start up to shut down..

btw, no plans to add turbo to Mechron 2200. It's said to do 25 mph and I've had it up to 20 or so. I treat all #2 with Howe's, PS white bottle, and Stanadyne 'lubricity' upon arrival and IMO it's been cheap insurance against poor starting and fuel related issues.