Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105

/ Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105 #1  

CBR Farmer

New member here. Long post but wanted to get my thought process down

I have a 30 acre horse farm. The tractor will be used to pull a 6' plug aerator for my pastures, 6' bush cutter for my pastures, 6' box blade for maintaining my riding ring and driveway, 6' harrow drag for the riding ring, and using the FEL for moving dirt, rocks, mulch, and horse manure.

I have been lurking here for a while gathering some information on what to look for and how to go about finding the right tractor for me. I have my first question - which is a better long term value a CT440 for $3500 less than a 4105. Both have FELs. From an upfront price perspective it is a no brainer.

After reading here, I visited the local dealers and am most comfortable with the JD and Cat dealers. They are both equally close to me and have good reputations for their service department. I have test driven both tractors and both will work for me.

I think I could get by with a 30 HP tractor but like the higher lift capacity, weight and strength of the larger frame of the 40 HP.

The CT440 has more features for less money so like I said that is a no brainer. I guess my biggest questions are about reliability of a fairly new line of tractors with a short history to go by and long term viability of Bobcat keeping tractors so that parts will be available long-term. I don't anticipate needing another tractor for 20+ years.

Can anybody help me? I have never purchased a new tractor and am fairly new to tractors other than Farmall 140s and John Deere 420s (both from the 1950s and 1960s). I don't have a huge preference to any brand.

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts you can provide.

/ Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105 #2  
What is the rated 3 pt lift capacity of the two tractors?

I have a Kubota B2710 (27 hp) and I can't imagine a 6' bush hog on it, nor mowing 30 acres of pasture with it. I use a 50 hp tractor for that although it's loafing along most of the time.

A hydrostatic transmission is certainly nice for FEL operations, but it robs the net power going to the PTO. Again, 30 hp sounds low for a 6' bush hog.

Ken

/ Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105
Thank you for the comment.

These are both 40 HP tractors with ~31 HP at the PTO. The 3 pt lift capacity is 2200 for the JD and 1870 for the Cat at 24" from top link. The loader lift capacity is 1860 for the JD and 2050 for the cat.

I mow my pastures frequently so there is very little high grass to mow. I intensive graze my horses so they do a good job of eating the grass down. I just have to mow where they poop and will not eat. This is why I thought I could probably get by with a 30 HP tractor but would be better off with 40 HP. I should have explained my thoughts a little better.

/ Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105 #4  
I do the same with our horses. I run a 5 foot hog with 26pto hp without ANY problems. I can mow in high as fast as the rough ground will allow. I would not hesitate on a six with mine but already owned the 5.
I recently opted for the Bobcat (335) after the same considerations. Even though Bobcat is new in this line the tractors have not changed much (if at all) from when they painted them orange(Kioti). I guess I figure even if Bobcat gets out of compact tractors I can get parts from Kioti.

/ Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105 #5  
Like TWR says they are repainted Kiotis, so they're hardly new. However, I believe Bobcat sources their loader from someone else (Woods maybe :confused:). The CT440 is a Kioti DK40SE. The DK40SE KL401 loader is rated at 2700 lbs. to full height at the pivot pins. The CT440 is about a 100 lbs. less. If you have a Kioti dealer nearby you could stop by and see what they can do for you, too. I wouldn't even consider the 4105 if I could get the CT440 or even DK40SE for less. They are deluxe, fully featured tractors. I don't know where Bobcat gets their figures, but Kioti says the DK40SE lifts 2493 lbs. 24" aft of the 3ph. I would suggest to rather look to Kioti for specs on the CT440 than Bobcat (except for the loader since they're different).

Last edited:
   / Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105 #6  
You might also look into the JD 5e series. I picked mine as listed in my byline for slightly over $20k. Rock solid tractor and I haven't found much that I couldn't do with it. Mine is 45engine hp and 40pto. Loader lifts at least 2000lbs. Operator station is comfortable with the required guages etc. without being cluttered. I have the shuttle shift which is very smooth to operate. It sounds like the majority of your work will be in the field HST is nice but not a requirement. I would suggest getting the wider tires as that will aid in traction. I got the 14.9's but if I had to do it over again I'd get the 16.9's. I regularly move large rounds, move dirt etc. I am very pleased with my JD. I think in the long run the value of the tractor will be higher with JD if for no other reason than the name.

Good luck.

/ Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105 #7  
I mow my pastures frequently so there is very little high grass to mow. I intensive graze my horses so they do a good job of eating the grass down. I just have to mow where they poop and will not eat. This is why I thought I could probably get by with a 30 HP tractor but would be better off with 40 HP. I should have explained my thoughts a little better.

Okay, now I understand. Do you really need a brush mower, or would finish mower work better for you?

I usually only get around to mowing our 35 acres of pasture about once a year (twice at most) and some of the areas are chest high and thick. Our horses will ignore the grass and nibble in the areas with quarter inch clover :(

For the light mowing you describe, 30 hp pto would probably be plenty.

Ken

/ Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105
TWR and JayC - I looked into the Kioti connection some more. I did not realize they had been selling in the US since 1986. Also, the US HQ for Kioti is about 20 minutes from where I live. Both make me feel a little better about the CT440.

Rwolf Good point. I looked at the 5Es and they were close to $25K here which is out of my price range. It is a nice tractor but I have a hard stop at $22K on my funds. The 4105 was right at $22K and the CT440 is $19K - both after tax. The main difference in price is the free FEL for the CT440.

Ken45101 - My land is pretty undulating with some sharp drop offs so I am afraid a finishing mower might get beat up too much. I do have a finishing mower for my yard which I forgot to mention as one of the uses for the tractor.

All, thanks for the replies. This is good information and is helping me with my decision.

/ Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105 #9  
Don't get me wrong, both tractors are good machines, but for the price how can you not get the Bobcat? I've noticed that around here the rental yards are going away from JD to the Bobcats.

/ Bobcat CT440 or JD 4105 #10  
I don't know the JD but I have owned a Kioti DK40se for the past couple of years and rate it very highly. As others have noted, it is a fully featured tractor that is both convenient and comfortable to use. Tremendous value from Bobcat on their different paint/decal version right now too.