Bobcat GPS locator killing battery

/ Bobcat GPS locator killing battery #1  

laurencen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600T Kioti CK20, Cat D2 dozer, Cat 420 tractor loader, Deer 644E loader, Bobcat E32 mini and Bobcat 590 skidsteer, Toro Groundsmaster 325D
my Bobcat E32 has the GPS locator, if stolen or something is not working right the dealer can locate it and relay codes, problem I am having the battery is dead if not used 6 to 8 weeks, its sending a signal 23-7-52, want to have it powered when the ignition is powered up.

Dealer has no help as to where its located or how its powered, first off what does it look like? there is what I believe is the antenna mounted under the side cover (fiberglass) above the fuse box, 2 black wires go into the cab after that dealer figures take inside if cab apart.

I would put a disconnect on the battery but its buried in the machine no way to get to it without taking covers off

anyone familar with this system

/ Bobcat GPS locator killing battery #2  
A work around might be to put a trickle charger on it. You can often hook a pigtail up to it and have a connector sticking out where its easy to get at.

How good is the battery? Have you load tested it? It could just be a weak battery.

/ Bobcat GPS locator killing battery
new battery last month, when charged its better than spec, issue is off site no power like at the lake, im convinced its the GPS, my Toolcat and S590, can sit for months no issue, my ammeter has too high a scale to read but definatly has a draw, anyone have a schematic maybe I can pull the fuse

no way to put the switch by the battery its not accesible without removing the metal side cover, I cold add cables and put in a switch but figured moving the power wire to the GPS thats continually powered to the ignition switch, then it is only powered when machine is running when ignition is on

/ Bobcat GPS locator killing battery #8  
Do you get sun where it’s stored. They make decent solar chargers that aren’t that expensive. I’m guessing the draw isn’t that large but when it sits that long it kills the battery. I’ve read where Ford F150 owners are having similar problems with parasitic draw.

/ Bobcat GPS locator killing battery #9  
My watch has a GPS that I use a few hours a week running and wear it the rest of the day, the battery lasts about 10 days. If a GPS is draining a 12v battery in six weeks I don't think that's the main problem. I'd put a meter to the battery and see what the draw is at rest then take it from there.

not sure the draw on a watch but they run for months on a small battery, likely run for years on a 12volt 800 amp battery. the watch recieves signal not transmit.

my ampmeter sees the draw but small the meter reads in .1 amp area bitt less than a small interior light. pulled fuses its not the control or accessory line have one fuse kills it and all the power to cab interior such as lights, beacon, its the GPS in discussing with dealer they can see the signal continually, not sure if its every hour it sends data or continious.

just wanting to change it from continious powered to when the machine is powered up, dealer figures its doable but likely expensive, not wanting to add solar or seperate charger. they also do not see it on the electrical diagram even suprised they can track it

maybe this weekend I will start digging in the cab removing some interior