Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience?

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #21  
TK, our drive is on a slight incline, like yours however it is gravel. I have always maintained if i paved it i would get a broom attachment so that I could keep the lighter snow off it. Now I basically sand it. I have deliveries going in and out so I do have to be a little more particular. A thought.

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #22  
Have you considered a Kubota B2650 cab tractor with either a 51" or 63" front snowblower?
No DPF and hydraulic chute rotation.
Good Luck in your choice!

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #23  
I'd also consider a nice used Bobcat skid steer if there are any in the area. I picked up a nice used S185 a few years ago with heated and air conditioned cab. Paid $18,500. Saved thousands over new for a very nice machine. It had 1200 or so hours on it. I've since put a couple hundred more on and it runs like a charm. I also picked up a new Erskine 2010 X 6 foot snow blower just after buying the machine and recently traded another attachment for a grapple bucket. It's a very useful machine and as mentioned, if you have any other purposes come up, it's easy to rent attachments. Not so much for 3 point attachments, at least in my area.

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #24  
Just an FYI regarding renting attachments for an S70. The S70 uses a smaller, narrower Bob-Tach QA system than the other larger models. Has same size QA and use same attachments as MT52 or 55. Not all rental stores stock a lot of attachements for this size. S100 is smallest model using conventional dimension QA.

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #25  
My neighbour uses one of the all wheel steer Bobcats for snow removal. Not nearly as tight a turn radius. But the advantage, he says, is that all four tires are still pulling as you turn, as opposed to the skid steer that you slow or stop two of the tires to turn in that direction

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience?
I'd also consider a nice used Bobcat skid steer if there are any in the area. I picked up a nice used S185 a few years ago with heated and air conditioned cab. Paid $18,500. Saved thousands over new for a very nice machine. It had 1200 or so hours on it. I've since put a couple hundred more on and it runs like a charm. I also picked up a new Erskine 2010 X 6 foot snow blower just after buying the machine and recently traded another attachment for a grapple bucket. It's a very useful machine and as mentioned, if you have any other purposes come up, it's easy to rent attachments. Not so much for 3 point attachments, at least in my area.

Just an FYI regarding renting attachments for an S70. The S70 uses a smaller, narrower Bob-Tach QA system than the other larger models. Has same size QA and use same attachments as MT52 or 55. Not all rental stores stock a lot of attachements for this size. S100 is smallest model using conventional dimension QA.

My neighbour uses one of the all wheel steer Bobcats for snow removal. Not nearly as tight a turn radius. But the advantage, he says, is that all four tires are still pulling as you turn, as opposed to the skid steer that you slow or stop two of the tires to turn in that direction

Thanks for the information fellas - I'm really excited about the skid steer - I know the S70 is a little small but for residential use, it's as much or more than I'll ever need. At 0% financing for four years, I couldn't pass up getting a new one. I'll always get my money out of it if I should decide to sell it - and, the dealer is only 1/2 hour away. I was seriously considering buying a used machine but there aren't any quality units around here. They're pretty much beat up and I don't have a big enough trailer with the payload to bring it home. There's an S70 with 48" blower and a plow, with heated cab (570 hours) in Hartford, CT for $19,000 but I'm a little leery going down there with $20,000 in my pocket for a Craigslist purchase. The S70 does have a different attachment system than the bigger units, but it's not an issue because there isn't any rental equipment in the area.

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #27  
Thanks for the information fellas - I'm really excited about the skid steer - I know the S70 is a little small but for residential use, it's as much or more than I'll ever need. At 0% financing for four years, I couldn't pass up getting a new one. I'll always get my money out of it if I should decide to sell it - and, the dealer is only 1/2 hour away.
You are aware of the rules, I hope. Pictures when you have the machine or no one here believes it happened.

You are aware of the rules, I hope. Pictures when you have the machine or no one here believes it happened.

No problem! My dealer called and said financing was approved - paid my deposit and he placed the order. Look for photos in August. :dance1:

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #29  
If you're going to be spending a good chunk on a skid steer, definitely consider what other uses you will have for it. Consider lifting capacity among other things. Once you have a skid steer you won't believe the multitude of things it can do. 450' isn't that long of a driveway. If your driveway is wide, consider an angle blade for snow. Blowers work well but are slow. If you only have 5 or 6 inches of snow to clear, you can go 3 times faster with a bucket or blade than a snow blower. Depending on the size an angle blade would take no more than 2 passes down and 2 passes back to be done. This is at your house, so I assume you'll be clearing the snow after each snowfall. I'd get a skid steer with the universal quick attach and then you can rent all kinds of attachments to fit. I think a 5' wide 1300lb capacity is a good all around size and not too big or too small but can still do some heavy work.

If you're going to be spending a good chunk on a skid steer, definitely consider what other uses you will have for it. Consider lifting capacity among other things. Once you have a skid steer you won't believe the multitude of things it can do. 450' isn't that long of a driveway. If your driveway is wide, consider an angle blade for snow. Blowers work well but are slow. If you only have 5 or 6 inches of snow to clear, you can go 3 times faster with a bucket or blade than a snow blower. Depending on the size an angle blade would take no more than 2 passes down and 2 passes back to be done. This is at your house, so I assume you'll be clearing the snow after each snowfall. I'd get a skid steer with the universal quick attach and then you can rent all kinds of attachments to fit. I think a 5' wide 1300lb capacity is a good all around size and not too big or too small but can still do some heavy work.

Thanks for the input Arc Weld!