Boiling Fuel

/ Boiling Fuel
I have an older PT-425 with the Kohler engine. Here you can see the PT exhaust, wrapped in a cloth heat shield I presume from PT. My tank is steel, and incorporated into the lid, with a steel gas cap. The fuel lines don't run near the exhaust, but I'm sure they get hot none-the-less. I also mounted a tool box to the top of my tank, which might be contributing to the boiling fuel. Is there a different exhaust set up for the Kohler I should be looking into to run cooler? DSC_0500.JPGDSC_0685.JPGDSC_0686.JPGDSC_0687.JPG

I've got heat tube on order and I'm looking into how I might mount the fuel pump. Thanks for all of the input.

Regards

/ Boiling Fuel #12  
You should be able to buy a Kohler exhaust manifold that fits your engine that will let you mount the muffler outside the engine tub. That will help quite a bit.

/ Boiling Fuel #13  
Digger,
I was just reading about a David Brown tractor with boiling gasoline, back in the day, and thought about your problem. Did you solve it? I'd like to hear the end of the story.

/ Boiling Fuel #14  
I flew a twin engine Beechcraft B55 on a short flight that had to cross 11,000 ft Sierra Nevada peaks along the way. So, in just a short distance from takeoff to landing it was a maximum performance takeoff and maximum performance climb up to 12,500 ft to cross. The pilot handbook calls for low boost setting on fuel pressure for takeoff then turn off the boost after climbing 1,000 ft. I did that.

At 12,000 feet while still climbing the right engine quit ... ahhhh! I could not restart the engine. I was at the crest of the mountains and was able to limp my way to the other side, half under power and also sort of gliding while working on why the engine quit. A B55 cannot hold at that altitude on only one engine. Eventually I got the engine restarted. There was nothing in the pilot operating handbook or any published procedure about what to do in this condition. I believed my ability to restart it was somehow connected to getting to a lower altitude.

Later, I talked to friends and mechanics, describing what had happened. They all said: "oh, turn the fuel pump to high boost because the heat from maximum climb boiled the fuel in the lines." I said that was not in the pilot's operating handbook. Their reply: "Everyone knows that ....."

Apparently it was cold enough outside and with the engine shut down my later restart effort allowed fuel to flow again .... live and learn.

/ Boiling Fuel #16  
See, that's the beauty of tractors VS airplanes.... you just pull over and park when the engine quits. ;)

/ Boiling Fuel #18  
Well, in the A-team movie they flew a tank firing rounds in various directions to steer as it descended ... after the aircraft ferrying it was shot to pieces.

/ Boiling Fuel #19  
Digger doesn't seem to be around. I guess I'll have to hope Paul Harvey tells me the rest of the story. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing a post from him lately, either.

/ Boiling Fuel
Sorry, I was overseas for a bit, which reminds me once again how much I'm looking forward to retiring and taking a more pedestrian job...

I ended up cleaning the tub really good, hoping the gunk built up on the tank was part of the problem. I also put heat shield on the fuel lines. I don't seem to have the boiling fuel problems anymore, but I haven't mowed in the heat yet either. My exhaust still glows cherry red at night, which has me concerned. So, I guess I'm not sure if I fixed it and I'm still concerned with the exhaust heat. I won't refuel it when she's hot anymore, since I nearly burned it to the ground once doing that. Wish I could figure out if I'm running too lean, causing all this heat, or if it's just normal. Sorry I don't have a better answer, SM. Cheers