Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #31  
My 4wd one, I got for a good deal do to the input shaft coupler spun and took out the splines! I told seller it could be bearing. Got for under 2k! Took home and found out what was needed. Ordered a couple hundred dollars worth of parts, split tractor and now runs great! Will move loader over since it's a cousin and has same bolt pattern. Can get you it touch with someone to make you a hydraulic manifold if you would need one. Found a factory one years ago for 2wd and had to have one made for the 4wd. Or if you have someone near you, take the plate the sends fluid to 3 pt. They only need to drill through the outer 2 holes and tap threads outside for fittings. Oring lip inside just like plate.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #32  
I don't think I will add a loader to the G154, but thanks for the offer. I have a 21 hp Kubota with a loader. The G154 will mainly be a trailer puller, or in the garden, moving firewood, compost bin, etc. I changed the fluid in the front two knuckles today and they both came up to the brim with about 8 oz. The manual says 0.26 quart, so that is about right. I didn't expect the fluid up to the brim however. I could not have looked to see how much was in each since I took off the drain plug first before the fill plug. Now I wish I did it the other way. I am thinking of draining a bit.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #33  
I would drain a bit do to when working it and the heat build up will cause fluid expansion. I'd take it down about 1/2". Do it with a suction gun or syringe. I find the large syringes that TSC sells are very helpful with those issues. Just add a bit of 2 cycle fuel line to get in there. The other need for manifold would be if you wanted to add a TNT or side adjust. Good to hear your about ready to fully put it back into service with fresh fluids!

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #34  
Okay, I will keep that in mond. I was able to get the used "canopy holder" (what they used to call ROPS before lawsuits) ordered today and I should have it in about a week. The shifter boot came in as well. The canopy holder nearly cost me more than the tractor. Oh well. :ROFLMAO:

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #35  
My used ROPS from a White Field Boss 16 arrived. I panicked at first since the side-to-side bolt dimension of the 6-bolt pattern was around 9", but once I pulled them together with a ratchet strap to the approx. 6" spacing my G154 has everything looks to line up. The 3-point arms look to be a tight fit inside the ROPS risers. Clockwork tight. I won't be able to get around to installing these for a few days. If you have or could take a picture of this area of your tractor, I would appreciate it. It certainly would put my mind at ease considering the price of these shipping them out here.
ROPS.jpg
3 point arms.jpg

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #36  
That's a different bolt up then either of mine. Mine bolts on 3 bolts near those plates. Here's a pic of the bolts used. It's the bolts with spacers on them. Will get pic of the roll over and then of the mounted one. Hope this helps at the moment.
20230912_115519.jpg

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #37  
Here the other pics.
20230913_165142.jpg
20230913_165128.jpg
20230913_165051.jpg

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #38  
Interesting. Mine are welded onto the "side brackets" on each side of the PTO shaft. Interestingly, it has the 3-bolt pattern on each side of the ROPS riser, but they welded it anyway. I'll see how it goes, maybe this weekend. I could grind the welds off and go back to the bolts, I guess. They cut the center section out for some reason so maybe they had some other attachment that it interfered with. Thanks for the pictures.
ROPS3 used.jpg
ROPS4 used.jpg

Last edited:
   / Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #39  
They probably cut the center section do to some interference with the seat. Mine will hit it on a good rut! It is what it is. If you have a welder, maybe put something across there for some support and possibly attach to top of the top link mount. That's the way both of mine are. Can't say that I'd really trust them on a rollover anyway! It does make get on and off a bit easier though.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #40  
Forgot to mention, have a parts and service manual if you need specs or part numbers.