Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #21  
Those tires look excellent. The White Field Boss 16 must have had larger wheels than the Bolens G154. Mine has 16" rear rims. I wonder how wide your 18" rim is. My fronts are 12", same as yours.

EDIT. I found this searching which explains it, yours is one size up from mine: FB16 is the same power train as the Bolens G172/G174 (2wd/4wd) .

I found a used ROPS from a FB16, I wonder if it will fit my G154. I will have to have them give me complete dimensions before I go too far.

Last edited:
   / Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #22  
It'll fit. I also have a Bolens 1501 gear. Both have rops and the are the same. Can get you pics of mounting if needed. On tires, you can go about 3" wider in width if needed. Since tractors aren't high speed. My 1501 has 10" front and 15" rear. Rear rim is 7 - 8" wide. The tire haven't given me any issues. Have a Mitsubishi loader on the 1501 which will be going to the FB16.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #24  
Great info, thank you.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #25  
I found a PDF online for the Iseki TX2160 (my G154 is equal to a TX2140). The TX2160 would be the equivalent to your White Field Boss 16 and you are correct. The rear transmission case where the ROPS appear (to me) to bolt to part numbers are the same between the TX2140 and TX2160. I did not get a call back from the parts supplier, so hopefully they still have it. Yesterday they thought they did.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #26  
I finally got around to changing the rear hydraulic/transmission fluid and engine oil/filter today. I am really glad I got the rear fluid changed, it looked like coffee with cream added since it had been pushed outside to make room in the barn for a good period of time. I did not mess with the hydraulic filter since the 3-point is quite quick. Tomorrow or Monday I will pull the front wheels off and change the gear oil in the knuckles and front bevel case. That and some more grease should do it for the lubrication systems. Now that I'm retired, I really appreciate a tough little tractor like this for around the house.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #27  
When I get back after some travel, I'll get you the part# I have for the shifter boot. I need to order some more since only have 1 left and it needs to go on the 2wd. Glad you got that oil/whatever out! I've been using the TSC Travelers Premium hydraulic fluid in both for years now with no I'll affects.
You are correct in how tough these little things are! Can't believe what I've done with mine over the years! I've got around 320lbs counter weight on a bracket I made for the 4wd and moved a dual axle dump trailer with 16 squares shingles! Need an extra couple hundred to keep wheels on the ground, so one of the guys jumped on the hood! He was shocked that I even was able to lift it let alone move it! Easy on fuel and strong!

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #28  
I ordered this boot through Southern Tractor, it looks to be correct in the picture. Tracking says I will have it by Tuesday. So I should be set there.

I have not heard back on the used ROPS yet. My place is almost all slope so I hope I am able to get one.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #29  
That's the boot for sure. I've the AGCO ones in the past. If you went on other side of the country, I've got 2 and probably only going to use 1 on the loader. I can get you measurements to adapt one if needed. Glad to help since slopes are no fun!

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #30  
I used this tractor quite a bit 10 years ago when it was on my remote farm property. I drove it very little after recently getting it running (prior to the rear fluid change) and thought there was quite a bit of gear train noise. There is less now with the new oil in there but still more than I recall. Typically, I wear hearing protection and I was not yesterday, so maybe that is the difference. I wouldn't say it is loud by any means, but it is noticeable. The engine is pretty quiet by diesel standards so hopefully it is all normal.