Bolt Broken

/ Bolt Broken #11  
While left handed drill bits and taps work best, they aren't that common in most folk's tool arsenal. Anyone find left handed drill bit, left handed tap (just one please) and left handed bolts at your local HD or Kragen? Not common stuff. In the absense, standard rotation drill bits and taps will still work as long as you use a jamb nut to secure the new bolt to the old bolt. Once "jambed" together, they act as one and you can then rotate the bolt out.

/ Bolt Broken
I want to thank all of you for your advice. I have added a few new ideas to my limited arsenal of tricks.

But you will probably all laugh at the resolution. It came down to angles. See, I was laying on my back, mower well supported so no danger of falling. One of the contractors came by who is a mechanic for all the heavy equipment he has. He told me to flip it over, and give it a try (using the punch and hammer technique). If that did not work he had some really cool easy outs that were straight (not tapered) You drilled a straight hole, hammered in the easy out and then but down the locking nut and wrenched it out.

Anyway, by simply being able to see it and attack it from the top, it came out in 30 seconds.

Frankly, I was afraid to tip it over, either damaging it, the motor or being too stupid to get it righted back.

So thanks again for all the help. Gotta love this site.

/ Bolt Broken #13  
Superduper said:
While left handed drill bits and taps work best, they aren't that common in most folk's tool arsenal. Anyone find left handed drill bit, left handed tap (just one please) and left handed bolts at your local HD or Kragen? Not common stuff. In the absense, standard rotation drill bits and taps will still work as long as you use a jamb nut to secure the new bolt to the old bolt. Once "jambed" together, they act as one and you can then rotate the bolt out.

It's called being a good scout. Order online in advance. 3-4 sizes of drills, taps and some bolts. Spend $20 now and have the "goodies" in the tool box for later. I ordered bits about 15 years ago and have been happy to have them on numerous occasions. Waiting until there is a dire need is just a bit too late!

jb

/ Bolt Broken #14  
It sounds like he had the Snap-on E1020 set (I think that's the #), my favorite for broken bolts. It has never failed me yet and is under $100. Drill a hole, hammer in the fluted shaft, drop the nut looking thing over it, and remove. Best part is they are warranteed.

/ Bolt Broken #15  
Since you are against the welding tricks, for obvious reasons, have you tried the candle wax trick?
David from jax