Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle
Great ideas, for a frustrating job getting the wheels back on. For the few times I have had my wheels off, when putting them back on I use my largest philips screwdriver to help guide the rim close to the correct position, and then screw in the first bolt on the opposite side .

I had made a couple of studs from old 9/16" bolts I had in the bin, and that helped the last couple of times I had one off, but decided to install studs and be done with it.

I had those bolts because International Harvester used to use them on a lot of their construction equipment. A good case for keeping old obsolete stuff for 40 or 50 years, you just might need it some day.

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #13  
I bought the rod from McMaster-Carr, they listed the specs at grade B7 and tensile strength as 125,000psi, so I think it will do the job just fine.

Besides, you's never find 9/16" X 18 tpi rod at a hardware store. I doubt you could even find 9/16" bolts, period.
Yeah the farm store would have that size but your typical Ace sure wouldn't. McMaster is one of the best resources around for good quality stuff delivered fast. But I was surprised it wasn't metric.

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #14  
Please correct me if I am wrong, but did you use 9/16" 18 threaded rod on what is most likely M14x1.5 threads? Surely Kubota uses metric bolts at the wheels, right?

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #16  
From the groan thread:
1700563213435.png

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle
Please correct me if I am wrong, but did you use 9/16" 18 threaded rod on what is most likely M14x1.5 threads? Surely Kubota uses metric bolts at the wheels, right?
No, Messicks lists them as 9/16" not metric. Who knows why Kubota would use an odd size like that, except that maybe 9/16" is more common on farm machinery.
9/16" is larger than 14mm and 18tpi is a finer pitch, about 1.4mm, so I doubt it would even start in a 14mm X 1.5 threaded hole.

Kubota #K2561-18212 BOLT, WHEEL 9/16

Last edited:
   / Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #18  
No, Messicks lists them as 9/16" not metric. Who knows why Kubota would use an odd size like that, except that maybe 9/16" is more common on farm machinery.
9/16" is larger than 14mm and 18tpi is a finer pitch, about 1.4mm, so I doubt it would even start in a 14mm X 1.5 threaded hole.

Kubota #K2561-18212 BOLT, WHEEL 9/16
Oh interesting. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #19  
I've always wondered the reason for not using studs, at least two; is it a cost savings?
I suspect it's an issue where the back of the hub doesn't have clearance for the head and knurl. The vast majority of cars we get in the shop have wheel studs, but some European imports insist on using stupid stud bolts. Those cars get the same cussing as when having to balance an implement tire on your toes while trying to start a stud bolt underneath a tandem or cotton trailer while trying to center the hub. There's a lot of cussing around here.

/ Bolts To Studs On BX Front Axle #20  
Fortunately all my tractors have at least 2 studs to aid in lining up the rims to the hubs. My wife's Jeep Liberty has all wheel bolts after the first time of swapping her summer and winter tires around I went to town and got a couple of metric bolts the correct thread and cut the heads off and saw cut a slot for a screw driver in the end. I use them as alignment studs to get the wheels hung and then remove them and use the lug bolts.