Bonehead electrical move

/ Bonehead electrical move #1  

dsmiley

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I was changing batteries on my BX25 and while connecting the new battery I got the leads crossed. I had taped a smaller wire to the negative lead with red electrical tape. You shouldn't do that.
Anyway, I heard an electrical spark come from the engine area and now it is dead. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box; all okay.
Would anyone hazard a guess? Thanks.

Dean

/ Bonehead electrical move #2  
I was changing batteries on my BX25 and while connecting the new battery I got the leads crossed. I had taped a smaller wire to the negative lead with red electrical tape. You shouldn't do that.
Anyway, I heard an electrical spark come from the engine area and now it is dead. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box; all okay.
Would anyone hazard a guess? Thanks.

Dean

Most tractors have a large (60 amp or more) main fuse. It is usually taped up inline often near the starter. Check for yours. Also if it is replaced, and continues to blow, The first thing I would want to check is the Diode Trio in the alternator. This is a set of diodes that normally rectify the 3 phase AC that comes out of the alternator winding into DC.

/ Bonehead electrical move
Thanks for the quick reply, James. I didn't find a fuse in the positive line between the battery and starter.

/ Bonehead electrical move #4  
could have a fuse link like some cars have, not sure on a tractor. Looks like part of the wire only thinner. do you have a meter to check continuity?

/ Bonehead electrical move #5  
Thanks for the quick reply, James. I didn't find a fuse in the positive line between the battery and starter.

You wont find a fuse in the large red cable from battery to starter. It will be near the starter wrapped up in tape. This will be the feed to the fuse box. Lets do a test. Break out your voltmeter, and check if there is any voltage on any of the fuses in the fusebox. If not. Track down and replace the large inline main fuse.

James, you were dead on. I found a 50 amp fuse taped to another wire and it is blown. I will replace it and see what happens. Thank you.

/ Bonehead electrical move #7  
James, you were dead on. I found a 50 amp fuse taped to another wire and it is blown. I will replace it and see what happens. Thank you.

I knew you could do it.. never doubted you.. :thumbsup: Replace fuse. (buy more than one). and see what happens next.. If you are lucky, everything will be fine..If not, get back with us.

/ Bonehead electrical move #8  
If living right, alt is ok.

Okay. New fuse is in, engine starts, alternator is making voltage! Phew. Dodged a bullet. Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

Dean