Boom mower deck Help

/ Boom mower deck Help #1  

Joee

Tractor
Kubota L3830
Hi guys,
I am working on a boom mower and I need some info about the cutter.
I am going to use hydraulics to power the blade and need help with the
RPM’s and blade tip speed. I will probably use either a 32 or 36 in. deck.
You guys are the best, so let me have it.
Thanks, Joe

/ Boom mower deck Help #2  
Might need a lot more info and pictures if possible?

/ Boom mower deck Help #3  
Blade tip speed is a simple mathmatical formula, using the perimeter of the circle that the blade travels and the rpm. Make sure the drive motor is figured during a no load speed, to allow for errors.
Are you building one, or repairing an existing one?
David from jax

/ Boom mower deck Help #4  
What kind of hydraulic pump will you be using and what is the output? That will determine how much work that you can do.

/ Boom mower deck Help #5  
Circumfrence = diameter X PI(3.1416).

36" X 3.1416 = 113" divided by 12" = 9.4248 FT

A typical mower blade tip speed is around 15000 feet per minute.
15000 divided by the 9.4248 foot circumference of a 36" blade would = 1591 RPM.

/ Boom mower deck Help
Hi guys,
Thanks for the comments. I am building the boom cutter myself, with help from my dad. The arms and 3 point tractor mount are all built but not painted. I am planning on using the loader hydraulics to move the arms and fab a hydraulic unit to power the cutter. Future plans are to be able to power a post hole digger from same unit. I need info and help with hydraulic motor for cutter, size and rpm range. I would also welcome info about hydraulic pto pumps, control valves, tanks and anything else about a hydraulic system. I have never done any hydraulic stuff before. I will try and take some pics tomorrow, its still in pieces have not assembled it yet.
Thanks,

/ Boom mower deck Help
Here is a pic of the boom assembly.

If anyone has used a hydraulic motor to power a mower, I would like to here from you. Would like to know about motor size what rpm the motor would turn.

I need to order all my hydraulic stuff, so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks, Joe

Attachments

• Boom42.JPG
    Boom42.JPG
    425.6 KB · Views: 643
  • Boom45.JPG
    Boom45.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 472
   / Boom mower deck Help #8  
Pics look good. I'de like to know about a hyd. motor too, but do you have the hyd. on the machine to run it all while still mowing? Problem I ran into and still looking for the solution.

/ Boom mower deck Help
I am going to mount a hyd. tank on opposite side from boom for some counterweight and setup a complete hyd. system to power the cutter blades.
Looking at a 12 gpm pto pump to supply the fluid power and some kind of freewheel motor control valve to control motor. I am not sure how many rpm's
the hyd. motor needs for good blade speed. This will probably effect the size of deck I build, which is next project.

The attached pic shows 2 in sq. top tube so 1 1/2 in sq. tube will fit inside to mount tank.
Joe

Attachments

• Boom22.JPG
    Boom22.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 441
   / Boom mower deck Help
Hi Guys,

Progress pic of boom and cylinders.

I have all the hydraulics and cutter motor, time for the deck.

See ya, Joe

Attachments

• Boom6.JPG
    Boom6.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 619