Boom Pole to the Rescue!

/ Boom Pole to the Rescue! #1  

Runner

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B
Finally got fed up with my neighbors horses chewing my lawn down to dirt along the fence line and decided to install some 2x4 galvanized wire fencing. There was already a 5-wire stranded fence in place, so I just hung the new fence right over it.

The new fence came in a 100 foot roll and I needed a good way to carry and hold it while attaching. So, I made a carrier by running a chain through a pipe with a piece of 2x8 on the bottom. Drilled a hole through the 2x8 and passed the bottom end of the chain through it and put a bolt through the chain to keep it from slipping back through. Passed the chain/pipe assembly through the middle of the fence roll.

Then, attached the boom pole to the loader and used it to pick up the chain fence holder from the top end. Once the end was attached to the first post, I just backed the tractor up and let the fence undwind. Worked pretty slick for something that was just thrown together.

Attachments

• IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 419
  • IMG_3344.jpg
    IMG_3344.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_3345.jpg
    IMG_3345.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 397
   / Boom Pole to the Rescue! #2  
Looks like a very clever idea. :thumbsup: Much easier than unrolling it by hand, that isnt too much fun, especially on hills. :(

/ Boom Pole to the Rescue! #3  
Like your fence un-roller.
But am more interested in the boom, did you build it?? Do you have any real good pictures of it. Please post them.

/ Boom Pole to the Rescue! #4  
Like your fence un-roller.
But am more interested in the boom, did you build it?? Do you have any real good pictures of it. Please post them.

+1. My first thought was "Nice boom pole". I wonder if he built it or bought it.:laughing:

/ Boom Pole to the Rescue!
"But am more interested in the boom, did you build it?? Do you have any real good pictures of it. Please post them. "

Yes, it's home-built. If you search my posts, you'll find several on it, including a description of the build in the "Build it Yourself" forum.

Basically, it's a three-piece unit that breaks down for storage. The part attached to the quick hitch also doubles as a trailer hitch and iMatch adapter for other attachments. The boom is made of 2x4 tubing and should be good for at least 1,000 lbs.

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1479B.jpg
    IMG_1479B.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1480 B.jpg
    IMG_1480 B.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1481 B.jpg
    IMG_1481 B.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1486 B.jpg
    IMG_1486 B.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1494B.jpg
    IMG_1494B.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 310
   / Boom Pole to the Rescue! #6  
"But am more interested in the boom, did you build it?? Do you have any real good pictures of it. Please post them. "

Yes, it's home-built. If you search my posts, you'll find several on it, including a description of the build in the "Build it Yourself" forum.

Basically, it's a three-piece unit that breaks down for storage. The part attached to the quick hitch also doubles as a trailer hitch and iMatch adapter for other attachments. The boom is made of 2x4 tubing and should be good for at least 1,000 lbs.

Here are a few pics.

Nice job. Looks like a real solid design.:thumbsup: