boompole

/ boompole #1  

RWB

Bronze Member
Tractor
204C NorTrac
Being the new kid on the block and reading all the safety information I think I have a crazy question to ask. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If tractors seem to flip back easy..... then how would you use a boomploe?? I want to move some Items and I see some rated quite high in pounds. Why wouldn't the tractor tip over using these poles. Now remember I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaally green. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Please be gentle.

Ray

/ boompole #2  
If you try to lift too much on the back, or if you put something heavy on your 3ph, it can cause the front wheels to get light and maybe even lift of the ground worst case.

My boom pole is rated for something like 500 lbs. Not an issue at least when my loader is on.

If your tractor were stopped and you tried to lift something really heavy and the front wheels came off the ground, the load would only lift them up until either the 3ph reached it travel limit, or you stopped lifting. You would not back flip like you might if you were improperly pulling something that was tied on higher than the axle center...

A similar thing happens when you use a loader without enough rear ballast, and the back wheels come off the ground...

Lifting the back wheels off the ground is more hazardous in my opinion than lifting the front wheels off the ground. as the tractor can pivot sideways on the mid-axle pivot of the front axle, and this will not happen with the rear axle, as there is no center pivot. Think about this...it is an important safety consideration!

Hope this helps...

/ boompole #3  
I've never used my boom pole with my new tractor yet.......
But I did use it with my 2WD Yanmar alot. I had 800 lbs on it one day, pulled a 1/2" boiler plate wood stove up the basement stairs. I had to put 200 lbs on the front bumper to at least keep my front tires kinda on the ground. Before I put the weight up there........??? Yup I was looking at the clear blue sky /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ boompole
Thanks Guys,

Yes it does help. I wanted to beable to lift items around the yard but like I said being the new guy on the block needed to understand the ability of the pole.

Thanks

Ray /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ boompole #5  
I have a homemade boompole and i will say one thing. be very careful when you try and pull a load with a long chain. if you are at a angle to the load ,as you would be turning ,the tractor can and will tip sideways.
i learned this pulling a downed tree and turning . the outside tire came off the ground and i really thought i was going to flip.
luckly i got my clutch in and it settled back down.
i now use the shortest chain between me and the load.

/ boompole #6  
RWB,

And whatever you do, DO NOT DRAG ANYTHING with the boom
pole.

I caught my wife's aunt and cousin dragging a large steel fuel
container, 200-300 gallons, one day. She was trying to drag
that thing, thankfully at low RPMS and it got hung up. She
lifted the front tires off the ground and barely had the sense
to put in the clutch before the tractor rolled backwards.

Its an old MF 165 with no ROPS. It would have crushed her in
an instant. I warned them but they lifted just a little more
and dragged it else where.

I have a couple more stories about her. I really don't see how
she has lived as long as she has.

Later,
Dan McCarty

/ boompole #7  
About 8 years ago I was building fence with the auger on the back of my Ford Jubilee and I got the "bright " idea of mounting a boompole in the hydraulic lift bed of my Jacobsen Truckster (see photo). It worked great for dragging and lifting one crosstie, but I got overzealous and tried it with two. As soon as I stepped off the 3-wheeler, the back went down and the front tire went skyward. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Luckily, all I had to do was "raise" the bed and the front came back to the ground. Sometimes you can "out-clever" yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 321314-BoomerScooter.jpg
    321314-BoomerScooter.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 553
   / boompole #8  
I used my boompole to lift my tiller off my flatbed trailer when I first bought it. It didn't lift the front end of the tractor any, but it did exceed the lifting capacity of the valve in the 3PH. It got to the point where it just hissed at me, and wouldn't go any higher. I did have my empty FEL on though. By the way this was with a B2910.

/ boompole #9  
Used my pole to erect a bird condo...

Attachments

• 321461-boom pole.jpg
    321461-boom pole.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 461
   / boompole #10  
When I tried to lift my box blade (about 300 #s) from my pickup, I had nothing on the rear of my BX. Unknown to me, the chains were different lengths, and I was standing BESIDE the BX--no one was in the seat. The right chain on the bucket came tight, and the left rear wheel started in the AIR.

The other scare I had was pulling a small sailboat backward from one chainhook. Figured it was a light load and could handle it. What I didn't notice was one tire got hung up on a tree root. The boat stopped, the trailer swung to the right, pulling my loader to the left, and the right rear wheel came off the ground. LUCKILY, I was in 2WD, so the differential kicked in and stopped my rearward and upward progress. Had it been in 4WD, I would still have been gaining altitude. After that lesson, when I pull stuff using the loader, I keep it in 2WD unless traction is an absolute issue.

Hope this helps.

Ron