Bootstrapping with springs

/ Bootstrapping with springs #1  

FarmWrench

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 180 CVT
All the wood splitter builds revived an old idea. When a hydraulic splitter is returning, no "work" is being accomplished. This is why we use two stage pumps for splitters.

What if springs were compressed on the return stroke, with enough force to overcome the friction of the moving parts and be able move some fluid. Some sort of check valve (vacuum breaker to supply oil) will be necessary to allow the cylinder to move faster than the pump can supply oil without introduction of air or having a pause while the pump catches up.

Since "Why?" Will be asked....... my splitter has a 6" diameter cylinder and I split 4 FOOT wood, powered by the SCV off the tractor. We used to have a PTO pump and very nice valve system with a smaller cylinder that was stolen. The beam is12" 89#/foot and is set up to split fence posts by moving the cylinder.

I thought I had a picture......sorry not right now.

/ Bootstrapping with springs #2  
There are some very nice splitters that split in both directions. But I don't have an answer to your question :(

/ Bootstrapping with springs
Split Fire......they build a 4' splitter and have built fence post splitters. Not in my budget. Honestly I shouldn't try to speed my splitter up....making big wood wears you out.

/ Bootstrapping with springs #4  
When I was 15 had a contract to cut and split 20 cords of fir 4' long wedges and sledge hammer I just can't imagine doing that any more . My splitter is slow but much less labor intensive & I'm only doing 16".

/ Bootstrapping with springs #5  
LOL, I'm 76 and last summer I split 15 ft lengths of cedar logs into 4 to make split cedar fencing.
I used an axe, couple of wedges and a 5lb sledge hammer.
Mind you I paused quite often between swings but got 'r done.

/ Bootstrapping with springs #6  
Around here we can't seem to find any new split cedar that is over 8' long for our decorative fences. Our posts are 10 apart....

/ Bootstrapping with springs #7  
Yes you can use springs to return a cylinder. Finding springs with 4 feet of extension could be a problem though.

Some presses use jack cylinders for rapid movement and then the main ram for force. These presses use "pre-fill" valves that allow oil to be drawn in or exhausted directly to the reservoir.

/ Bootstrapping with springs #8  
What if you used one of the regenerative valves like is used for the bucket curl/dump cylinder on a loader?

Aaron Z

/ Bootstrapping with springs
Oldnslo.....compress the spring on the return to then release the energy bringing the ram to the wood.

Anyone have a loader regeneration valve model number?