Boston Butt

/ Boston Butt #11  
I usually smoke my but 6-8 hours then finish in the oven, because the oven has a probe and I just stick in there and set it for 188 and the oven beeps and cuts off at that point. My son in law does butts in a crock pot and they turn out good too.

/ Boston Butt
I was wondering how a pressure cooker would do on a butt?
Anyone ever tried that?
sherpa

/ Boston Butt #13  
Well I know people who just add liquid smoke and cook stuff in the house so I dont know why that wouldn't work. You can cook anything in anything its all a matter of technique. :thumbsup:

/ Boston Butt #14  
With using a pressure cooker, which would work fine especially with liquid smoke like cardoc said and add some vinegar and bbq sauce with some water or cooking it inside in the over or dutch oven....the only suggestion I would have is whichever inside method is done...you might want to finish it off on the grill...just on about 350 deg on the outdoor grill to let the fat run off....Cooked inside off a grill you will retain all the fat.....that's not good for us.

/ Boston Butt #15  
I was wondering how a pressure cooker would do on a butt?
Anyone ever tried that?
sherpa

You could and it would cook faster. Problem is that it would be steamed/boiled not grilled. Liquid Smoke is supposed to work but I have never used it. It is just what it says, liquid smoke. I have done either butt or pork loin in the pressure cooker. It is faster but not as tasty as from the grill/smoker. It has been years since I used the pressure cooker for meat. The grill/smoker is just that much better.

I suppose one could use the pressure cooker and then brown afterwards. Or brown the outside and then pressure cook.

Later,
Dan

/ Boston Butt #16  
I have had Butts steaked out like Tow653 mentioned. And boy...are they good on the grill.

Now you went and done it...my mouth is watering...

/ Boston Butt #17  
I also know of people that par boil ribs first then grill them so as to tenderize them Applebys and Chilli's do it that way also fwtw.

So I spose if I was going to do a pressure cooked butt now I think about it...I would probably braise it in the pressure cooker real good on all sides then add a couple cups of water and a bay leaf and some pork and poultry seasonings and some liquid smoke and give it 30 minutes @ 10psi. If it needed more cooking I would do it in a pan. my .002 elifino

Fact I just searched and its 1.5 hrs first (i was way off there) and then take the lid off add veggies etc and finish it for 30 minutes back up at pressure. hth

Last edited:
   / Boston Butt #18  
I also know of people that par boil ribs first then grill them so as to tenderize them Applebys and Chilli's do it that way also fwtw.

So I spose if I was going to do a pressure cooked butt now I think about it...I would probably braise it in the pressure cooker real good on all sides then add a couple cups of water and a bay leaf and some pork and poultry seasonings and some liquid smoke and give it 30 minutes @ 10psi. If it needed more cooking I would do it in a pan. my .002 elifino

I have been watching the first Julia Child cooking shows from the 60s. That lady was smart. Almost 30 minutes of video, start to finish, no breaks, just cooking. Not many people could do what she did. I just watched her cooking a chicken dish where she first brown the chicken, course with black and white TV it was real hard to see any browning :laughing:, then the chicken went into the pot to finished cooking.

It seems most of the time, that cooking shows or cook books say to brown the meat and then finish cooking.

I have a large pork loin defrosting so I can cook it this weekend. :licking: Gonna make some more Johnny cakes to go with the smoked pork loin. :licking::licking::licking:

Later,
Dan

/ Boston Butt #19  
Oh I know what you mean Dan the browning is where all the flavor comes from in gravy etc. I am a food network junkie and all this talk about butts now I am going to have to smoke one this weekend thanks a lot Sherpa and all the rest of you guys! :licking: :laughing:

/ Boston Butt #20  
Oh I know what you mean Dan the browning is where all the flavor comes from in gravy etc. I am a food network junkie and all this talk about butts now I am going to have to smoke one this weekend thanks a lot Sherpa and all the rest of you guys! :licking: :laughing:

Hmmm. Good Idea...I have 3 in the freezer right now; I like the smaller ones in the 4-5 pound range, that are covered in the fishnet. Better get it defrostin!