Both lift cylinders began spewing at the same time, what have I done?

/ Both lift cylinders began spewing at the same time, what have I done? #21  
Yes! I learned that the other night, thank you! I'm used to air and water hoses, and only a few work like that, but the hydraulic ones have I guess a clamping mechanism that can limit the flow if not fully engaged, that's pretty cool. Funny story - I'm a huge fan of quick connects, and that's the only reason I figured out my weird PTO connection when I first got the tractor, it works opposite of how you'd expect and it's annoying. I have two impact drivers, one you pull on and one you push to engage/disengage. If I didn't have that other driver, think I'd still be trying to figure out that PTO.

I think that is excellent advice. ;)

Oh, I saw it. Dad said it was leaking and I jumped off the tractor before shutting it down, with the forks still high enough above the ground for driving. It was streaming from both sides like a cow being milked. I'll bet it was a quart of fluid during the 60 seconds or so I watched them and after I shut off the tractor when the residual pressure was abating. That's the reason for the post title, it seemed so unlikely that they'd both start doing that at the exact same time, I thought there must be some explanation that every tractor or Bobcat owner knows that I don't.

Yes, I'm going that route when the weather cooperates. I went to see my friend with the shop yesterday and he said to bring them in, we'd pull the shafts and get the parts at the hydraulic shop, and then repair them there. He's rebuilt the cylinders on his giant forklift more times than I can remember, and it's as old as me. He's also got a lathe and honing tools if we need to smooth any surfaces (the one that's my favorite is referred to as the "dingle ball").

He also said to lift it up a few feet and block it in case the shaft needs to be compressed to maneuver it out.

I have been so lucky that I have had men in my life that are willing to teach me rather than do it for me because it's faster or easier, and I thank you all for your patience and kindness as well. Y'all were wonderful in reducing my fear and anxiety just by explaining how things work. I'm not technically young anymore, but there are still young people out there that want to learn to "do"; please continue to share your wisdom and explain the "why" whenever the opportunity presents itself. I believe the world would be a much better place if we all got elbow-deep in grease or manure more often.
Sounds like you're in good hands . I'll just stand back and watch the post to find out what you finally discover was the problem

/ Both lift cylinders began spewing at the same time, what have I done? #22  
Dirt shouldn’t get in if the wiper is in good shape. The hose cover guard should be moved back to allow the hoses to be seen.

/ Both lift cylinders began spewing at the same time, what have I done? #23  
Dirt shouldn’t get in if the wiper is in good shape. The hose cover guard should be moved back to allow the hoses to be seen.
You are correct , if the wipers are in good condition dirt should not get past them. I have seen many times though where a build up of many different types of "dirt " built up and was forced past the good seal. Paint chips, hard grease and even grass. If there is enough travel in the cylinder, a rod stop could be considered to prevent drawing the cylinder in to far or over extending. Rust will wipe out a good seal faster than can imagine.

/ Both lift cylinders began spewing at the same time, what have I done? #24  
Last spring, when I used my tractor/loader for the first days after winter, I had a different hydraulic hose break each day for 5 days. These hoses were probably all off the same roll of hose and this was their life span. So I made a trip to the dealer for 5 days straight to have a new hose made.
Two years ago, 2 of the cylinders started to leak. New parts was about $75, but I had a local shop do the repairs. Their parts and labor was $125 each. I had to remove the cylinders and take them to the shop; then re-install.