Bought a D40 Today

/ Bought a D40 Today
Thanks all for your kind words.

I did get the QA loader. Rear remotes will definitely get added, probably at the 50 hour inspection. I will probably add rear wheel weights and add sealer to the tires. I think that is the best compromise for my situation. About 12 acres in coastal bermuda and 70 acres of pastureland with small mesquites and grass.

Ellis Equipment in Weatherford ordered a SRV60-CT rock bucket with the universal skid steer attachment, so it will hook up to the LX116 loader. 2 weeks lead time for Virnig to manufacture it, then ship, so it will be "under the Christmas tree". $800 plus shipping which is estimated at $150+-.

Also found some chain hooks for the bucket. These are flat on one side, intended for welding. Now, if I can remember how to run a bead...

Jim, if you drive 101 from Park Springs to Sunset, when you cross 287, the gas station and store at the intersection is the place I was referring to. Growing up in South Texas, 7-11's and similar were referred to as "Ice Houses". In fact there was a chain named "Lone Star Ice House". I guess the name was a hold-over from the days before refrigerators were common.

I'll drop you a PM.

Ron

/ Bought a D40 Today
Kubotasrking said:
Could hardly tell the difference between the old and new...;)

Yeah, they both are about the same size. I figure the D40 is like a new 8N on steroids:p

No play, err, work today. Icy roads and supposedly some snow. I'll probably venture out and check out the place and see if rumors of snow are true - 'course I could call a neighbor and ask, but that would take all the fun out of it.

Regards

Ron

/ Bought a D40 Today #14  
One of the "red" dealers near here has a salesman who is a little pushy -- he's the main reason I got my DX from the other dealer. He kept wanting me to get the D40 they had on the lot despite the fact that it was too big for my woods and barn. I thought it was a nice tractor at a good price, just a little too big. Looks like you have a lot of room to let it run, though. Enjoy!

/ Bought a D40 Today #15  
AKtinman said:
How about some pix:

Why is the box blade bolted on? (3rd pic).

/ Bought a D40 Today #16  
What is the difference between a D40 and DX 40? What is the hp (real and PTO) and what would I expect to pay? Those who have them seem satisfied.

/ Bought a D40 Today
BTDT said:
Why is the box blade bolted on? (3rd pic).

Hmmm... The same question I asked my salesman. He got me the correct pins - said someone had stolen the pins off the boxblade when it was on display.

I get a little testy when things aren't "right", and personally, would have never delivered the unit with the wrong "pins".

/ Bought a D40 Today
Kahuna said:
What is the difference between a D40 and DX 40? What is the hp (real and PTO) and what would I expect to pay? Those who have them seem satisfied.

I'm no expert, and from memory, the D40 has a "shuttle shift" (manual transmission with clutch) and the DX40 has an "automatic" transmission. The engine HP is the same, but the DX40 loses around 3 HP at the PTO due to the transmission. The DX has armrests on the seat, and a step on the right side of the tractor, as well as the left side. The D model only has one step, though I bought one for the right side (~$10.00).

The DX40 didn't interest me, so I really didn't pay much attention to it. I think the DX was around $2000 - $3000 more than the D model.

I've got 24 hours on the D40 now and really like it. Downside is no place for tool box, chain stowage, tool stowage. But, that's part of the fun of building stuff yourself. I've already got a tool box mount mentally designed and some of the parts made for it. Just gotta finish it up and get it mounted. Might be a few weeks off, but I'll post pix when it gets done.

/ Bought a D40 Today #19  
I have a TC 40A that I got a few months ago. I love my new tractor too. I have a custom toolbox mounted behind the seat. A bed frame was cut and welded together and then mounted to the ROPS with the two existing brackets. There are several toolboxes that will fit this setup. I have pictures under CUSTOMIZATION. Enjoy your new toy.

/ Bought a D40 Today #20  
I was going to buy the D40 because I always liked a gear shift. But when you get the gear shift, they take away the toolbox, the pivoting suspension seat also the covers for the hydraulic and shift controls. They put in a taller and different dash gauge setup, the telescopic lift arms become an option and they remove the rubber floor mat. It starts to remind me of a tractor from the seventies with all the controls exposed they even put in cheaper headlights. They call it the economy model. Just because someone likes a gearshift doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't like the other options, doesn't make sense to me. I bought the DX 40 because of this reason. It hasn't been delivered yet, hope I like the hydro after I get used to it, others on this site were unsure of a hydro, but say they wouldn't go back after owning one, hope that's me.
I'm sure Case has researched this before making the economy model, but you would think with an assembly line process and stocking parts it would be cheaper to make as many of the parts the same as possible.