Bought a Ford 4000 at auction

/ Bought a Ford 4000 at auction #11  
Go Glenn !
Good reply, there is no need to burn each other if we disagree or are wrong (gasp). That reply could have been handled better, explaining why diesels have no PCV systems and such. Much nicer to educate rather than burn.
I think this is a great site and I have learned a LOT. Thanks to all who have put up with my sometimes stupid replys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Bought a Ford 4000 at auction #12  
Are you saying there is no crankcase vent on a Ford 4000,(positive or negative, who cares)? I'll still bet that the oil is dirty.

/ Bought a Ford 4000 at auction #13  
I don't know a Ford 4000 from a doorknob, but any internal combustion engine that has a crankcase has some type of way to exhaust blowby gasses. If there was no vent, every seal would blow out and it would puke oil all over the place.

I had a 1941 Farmall "A". Now that's older than dirt and it had a breather cap on the top of the valve cover that was stuffed with a coarse steel wool. The blowby gasses would saturate it and when I changed the oil, I always washed it out in mineral spirits.

Like I said, any engine, from the begining of time, unless a 2 stroke or a Wankel has to have a vent. I don't care if it's a diesel, gas, propane, alcohol, nitromethane, distillate or peanut butter fired.

If the vent/breather/road draft tube/ PCV valve or crancase emmission recirculating appratus becomes plugged, the normal neutral pressure in the crankcase will become positive. The result is that oil or oil vapor will exit the block through the weakest or easiest path, whether through the seals, past the rings, valve guides or around gaskets.

The bottom line to all this is that every poster is right . The first thing that needs to be done is to make sure that the blowby gasses have an easy, unobstructed path to exit the block cavity, through whichever means that is designed into the engine.

The term "brutal" does not apply, the poster is asking a legitimate question and deserves a ligitimate answer to the best of peoples knowledge

/ Bought a Ford 4000 at auction #15  
The diesel will have a blow-by tube or as some call them a draft tube. But no actual PCV as on gas engines,or an oil cap with breather. Not sure why exactly,but I'd guess do to the higher compression of the diesel.

/ Bought a Ford 4000 at auction #16  
A diesel does not have a throttle plate in the intake hence very poor vacuum which a PCV valve requires to function. At least I think that is the reason there is not PCV valve on a diesel.

/ Bought a Ford 4000 at auction #17  
Without going into a lengthy explaination, Newer diesels and the newest diesels, especially in class 8 trucks, recirculate their crankcase emmisions and some exhaust gas by means of an egr valve. Detroit diesel has limited their crankcase emmisions to the point that the oil gets very dirty in no time as they put the blowby gasses back into the oil. The Federal Government has mandated lower emmisions from trucks. Clasee 8 diesels in California have actual catalytic convertors built into the exhaust system.

/ Bought a Ford 4000 at auction #18  
If oil was coming out of the muffler, this could be an indication of oil control rings being, dirty, sticking, siezed, etc. Or it could be that the tractor had been setting for a long time prior to when your friend used it combined with really dirty oil which does not help at all with cylinder bore oil control and dirty oil does not keep oil contro rings free and clean. This particular engine has a crankcase breather. It is normal for a certain amount of gas and fluid venting from the crank case breath but no a large amount. All diesels do this, my new Cummins diesel and my John Deere to a much lesser extent. No diesel has a PCV valve. In some more modern diesels to meet Nitrogen Oxide reduction requirements they are equipped with EGR systems which recirculates a percentage of exhuast as well as crankcase gases through the induction system to be reburned. Most of the EGR systems make a big mess in the induction systems due to build up of condensed gas residue.

As I previously suggested, I would try changing ALL the fluids and filters in this tractor and change the engine oil every 10 - 25 hours for a few changes to clean a probable large amount of dirt and crud (is it OK if I say crud here??????? I don't want to offend anyone /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) out of the engine, if the rings have a large build up of dirt and years of crud, the detergents and additives in the clean oil may and I UNDERLINE may clean them up enough to improve oil control. In many cases, when the oil control rings are shot, they are kapput. In anycase, if she starts up (hopefully without ether assist), runs well, and makes good power; I would keep driving on. Sounds like it run well enough; I would continue to get some use out of her.

/ Bought a Ford 4000 at auction
Well I just called the farm today and my wife said "the neighbors"were cutting hay with a little blue tractor,she said it was cute looking.
I headed up to PA and saw "the neighbors" at a tractor pull. Their two grandson were pulling with a Farmall M and they said it almost fixed itself

SO maybe it was diesel slobber or something like that

Anyhow thanks for all the help

Bartman

/ Bought a Ford 4000 at auction #20  
A ford 4000 has an oil bath air filter. The bottom of the canister holds about a quart of oil. The rest of the canister has a steel wool like substance. Just change the oil periodically. Sounds like a pretty nice setup compared to changing the air filters at 20 bucks a pop. We pushed the oil back up through the manifold when we left the tractor out of gear and it rolled into the pond a few weeks ago. Could't see anything but the top of the seat and 2 inches of the exhaust. I don't reccomend this practice /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But it will cause you to service all the fluids though. Dry clutches are designed to be maintained that way. that way