Bought A Haybine

/ Bought A Haybine #1  
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
We are going to start making hay on our property that we currently have been renting out. I was in need of a haybine and put a "wanted" ad up on Craigslist. I went and looked at a couple but they were either wore out, no rubber on the rolls, etc. Some guy contacted me about one he had and said it was in good shape and he was only selling due to getting a discbine. Anyways, here is a few pictures of it. It is a New Holland 474. Paid $1,000 for it and put new tires on it before I left his place and towed it 50 miles back home. I have all new knife sections on order and replaced the hydraulic hoses today.

20170326_172901.jpg

20170326_171459.jpg

20170329_181410.jpg

20170326_171520.jpg

/ Bought A Haybine #2  
There are 2 zerks on either end of the pto shaft. The front one is easy. Getting to the rear one is why I no longer have one. I got so frustrated in trying to get to mine that I took my torch and cut a big hole in the side of the thing to get to it. Problem solved. Other problem was changing from tow to field position. Greasing the sliding and pin-lock mechanism helps as is filing off any burrs from wear. Other thing is to take a 6x8x16 cinder block with you to the field to block the right rear tire when you are ready to return to the tow mode and come home.

Good luck.

/ Bought A Haybine #3  
that looks really nice!!
i recently paid more than that for an NH477, and it doesn't look near as pretty as yours, even though it has been stored indoors all its life!

/ Bought A Haybine #4  
For extending the life of the machine and proper operation you should check the header for flotation and also check the rolls for gap. The proper flotation of the header will extend the life of the guards and sections on the mower and I do recommend running them light vs heavy. The rolls are often overlooked as long as there is rubber on them! Make sure they are adjusted right to enhance the drying time.

/ Bought A Haybine
The manual list 30 H.P. as the minimum

/ Bought A Haybine #7  
I have run my 479 (9 foot cut) on 22 hp with absolutely not issues. Your's is a 7' cut. If it doesn't have a cylinder to swing the tongue, put one on. Get a manual and adjust the reel speed properly for the ground speed you are comfortable running. If the guards have some wear on them, hammer them down to reduce the knife clearance (also the hold-down clips).

2:censored:813 2411 - YouTube

/ Bought A Haybine #8  
Looks like a good purchase;

I bought a NH 488 9' cut a couple years ago. I replaced all the guards and any knife that looked worn at all. Adjusted the chains and belts and it works great. Looks old and worn but it cuts great. Think I paid 1600 for mine. I even got the owners manual with it.DSCN2529.JPGDSCN2520.JPG

/ Bought A Haybine
He actually had the original owners manual with this one too. I am going to go over it and adjust everything and see how she does this year.

/ Bought A Haybine #10  
Good luck, I'm sure it will work fine.
Have you actually hooked it up and run it yet?