Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #11  
I quit acetylene decades ago. Use fish cooker/grill bottles and just buy oxygen.

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #12  
What's an outfit like shown in the pictures worth for resale?
Well, to buy the O/A kit set up new is probably $300. The stand alone is what we used 20 years ago when I was a plumbers helper, for soldering, and also, rarely to try to melt lead out of Old cast iron DWV lines. For resale; I would probably guess $125-200.
Screenshot_20230916_174349_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230916_174421_Facebook.jpg

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding
   / Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #14  
Lotsa folks are confused about oxy/acetylene torches as opposed to oxy/fuel torches. So I will try to help explain. Oxy/acetylene flames burn very hot. Though not the hottest flame oxy/acetylene is pretty close to the hottest. This means that the flame can be used to melt steel, which is what you need to do if you are welding steel.
Common oxy/fuel flames, such as oxy/propane, don't burn as hot, so are not good for welding steel.
Though this seems wrong, common oxy/fuel flames have more heat energy than oxy/acetylene. So even though oxy/acetylene burns hotter that oxy/propane, the flame itself, when burning properly, is smaller, and so delivers less actual calories of heat into the work. The upshot is the different flames are better for different jobs.
Most of the time when really concentrated heat is needed oxy/acetylene is the best choice. When cutting steel though oxy/fuel is the better choice. This is because the torch flame only pre-heats the work enough for the oxygen to start burning with the steel. Oxy/fuel steel cutting is an exothermic process. This means that the oxygen reacts with the steel and produces heat. The reaction is fast enough that the steel melts, and some actually burns.
Oxy/fuel is also usually plenty hot enough for brazing and silver soldering. And air/acetylene, like that big tank and torch shown, is great for soldering copper pipe. Once again the acetylene flame has enough concentrated heat to get the job done better than air/fuel.
When soldering, whether soft soldering like plumbing stuff, or hard soldering, commonly known as silver soldering, it is vitally important to heat the work fast. This is because the flux is absorbing oxygen and so keeping the oxygen from contaminating the solder joint. But the flux can only absorb so much oxygen and the longer it takes to melt the solder the more oxygen the flux needs to absorb. If it takes too long to heat the joint the flux will absorb all the oxygen it can and the solder and the parent metal will start to oxidize and the solder will not wet the metal and will not flow. Air/acetylene torches will heat the copper pipe so fast that the copper doesn't have time to wick away the heat before the joint comes up to temperature. So soldering copper pipe with air/acetylene is much easier than using air/propane or air/MAPP.
I know the above explanation is brief and a lot of info is not included but I did cover the basics. So you need to decide if you need the tiny oxy/acetylene set. If you plan on doing any copper pipe plumbing requiring soldering then you should keep the larger tank and torch combo. It is way better than using propane or Mapp gas.
All the tanks shown are owner tanks. If they need to be re-filled most places will just exchange them, they won't re-fill yours and then give them back to you. If the tanks are out of date then you may need to pay a charge for them to be tested. In any case there is no benefit to having your particular tanks re-filled, exchanging them for a full tank is fine.
Eric

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #15  
   / Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #17  
Please observe flow rate for safe operation

The 1/7th Rule

The 1/7th rule refers to the flow rate at which an operator dispenses the gas from the cylinder. For common uses like welding, cutting and allied processes it is recommended to flow no more than 1/7th of the cylinder’s total contents at a time at a regulated pressure that does not exceed 15 pounds per square inch.

The 1/7th rule has been the standard for many years, but was updated to 1/10th to further minimize the withdrawal of liquid solvent (see Compressed Gas Association G.1 5.3.3.13):

To minimize the withdrawal of liquid solvent, acetylene should be withdrawn from the cylinder at a rate not to exceed one-tenth (1/10) of the capacity of the cylinder per hour during intermittent use. For full withdrawal of the contents of the cylinder on a continuous basis, the flow rate should be no more than one-fifteenth (1/15) of the capacity of the cylinder per hour.
It’s very important to follow this rule of thumb in order to safely withdraw acetylene from the cylinder. If the flow rate exceeds the recommended flow rate, you’ll start to pull acetone through which can cause the acetylene to reduce. If acetylene reduction occurs, this can cause the acetylene to become very unstable and potentially explosive. Additionally, acetone damages plastic and rubber, so it can damage torches, regulators and the hose used to dispense the gas if the solvent passes through.

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #18  
The 1/7th "rule" is now the 1/10 rule, according to this

Fuel your safety knowledge - acetylene

Either way, if you plan on using even the SMALLEST rosebud you should be using the LARGEST acetylene tank available - possibly even manifolding MULTIPLE acetylene tanks if possible... Steve

Attachments

• AcetyReel.jpg
    AcetyReel.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 63
The 1/7th "rule" is now the 1/10 rule, according to this

Fuel your safety knowledge - acetylene

Either way, if you plan on using even the SMALLEST rosebud you should be using the LARGEST acetylene tank available - possibly even manifolding MULTIPLE acetylene tanks if possible... Steve
Mostly all I do is heat up stuff that won't come apart and sometimes burn a little. I have my numbers out on the cart but think I keep ACY at 5? or so. I'll get the card later. I can't remember OXY but got the numbers when I took a welding class at a tech night school 15 years ago. I have flashback arrestors and view myself as as cautious.

I don't remember my tank sizes but think OXY is 120 and ACY maybe 90 but that's a guess. I keep a file and they're in there. Any help appreciated.

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #20  
I hope you don't really mean "keep" (as in, NOT backing off regulators when not using) - I owe the previous 60 years of my life to NOT being quite in the path of an oxy regulator's stem when our so-called weldor replaced his oxy tank - when he (not slowly) opened the tank valve and the regulator stem missed my head by about 2" before going thru 2 plywood walls and bouncing off a parked car outside -

I was 19 at the time, and when my legs stopped shaking I drove to the nearest welding supply and got one of their safety booklets on acetylene - near as I could tell, our "weldor" did NOTHING right. I told him to let me know if he was going to do ANYTHING with the torches so I could be SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Best advice I can give is to not SKIM the info in the previous link; I believe there's no such thing as too much info when dealing with explosives... Steve