Bought a used TG1860, 1000 hrs

/ Bought a used TG1860, 1000 hrs #1  

brianmichalk

Tractor
kubota l3750, TG1860
I bought some nice property, 2.5 acres, and moved from a house in an HOA. The difference in lawn care caught me off guard. So, I looked for garden tractors and came across a TG1860 with a 54" deck. It drove okay. The transmission is very sensitive. It looks like it's hardly been serviced at all. The oil filter has a 2012 date. The starter solenoid sticks. I sharpened up the blades, and it cuts pretty well. So, what I'm doing now is getting used to this mower. I bought oil, filters, and such for a good lube job. Last night I tried to pull the HST dipstick. I had to use a pair of vice grips to get it loose. When I got it loose, it was caked up with a material that looks like green grease. Smells like moly grease too. Would UDT or SUDT oil leave this sort of deposits?

I plan to add SUDT fluid to it and drive it a while, then drain the oil and refill. The starter solenoid will be here tomorrow.

My dad had a shredder with a gearbox that was shot. We filled it up with grease and got a couple more years out of it. I can't imagine HST would function on grease. I hope the previous owner did not do something like that. Comments?

/ Bought a used TG1860, 1000 hrs #2  
I can't imagine an HST operating on grease, guess it depends on the viscosity used.. If you're not into the machine for a ton of money, I'd try changing everything the correct way and hope for the best.

SUDT/UDT hasn't left any deposits like that on any of my 3 Kubs

Usually that "pancake batter" look is from water/anti-freeze mixing with oil, although I certainly can't say for sure in your circumstance.

/ Bought a used TG1860, 1000 hrs
I can't imagine an HST operating on grease, guess it depends on the viscosity used.. If you're not into the machine for a ton of money, I'd try changing everything the correct way and hope for the best.

SUDT/UDT hasn't left any deposits like that on any of my 3 Kubs

Usually that "pancake batter" look is from water/anti-freeze mixing with oil, although I certainly can't say for sure in your circumstance.

Thanks.
I changed engine oil, and tried to do the same for hydraulic. I could not find the drain plug, and do have the manual. Unless there was zero oil, I never found the plug. I filled it up to the full mark with SUDT, and it's working very well.

When I shut it down, the coolant boils. I think I may have a bad radiator cap. The temp idiot light is not lit, and at least the lamp works when I turn on the key. Still doesn't mean the sensor is working. Yes, it's full of coolant, and yes, I've cleaned the screen.

/ Bought a used TG1860, 1000 hrs
Update:
I pulled the radiator and flushed. While reinstalling, I broke a nipple off of the plastic top radiator cap. Oh well. Bought a new Kubota radiator. It runs well now.
I have two remaining problems.
The starter does not engage reliably. I replaced the solenoid, but I suspect that the bendix is not fully extending, preventing the solenoid from closing the circuit to the starter. The original would eventually start. The replacement just sits there and clicks the bendix. I have to toggle the starter switch for this part. If I jump the terminals, it starts good and strong.

Is there anything that can be done to the starter bendix to ensure full travel? It probably needs some lubrication.

Secondly, the headlights don't work. No power to them. I imagine it's a bad fuse.

I really do like this mower though.