Bought a Yamaha Terrapro

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro
Mower deck evaluation

After stripping most of the pulley mounts and brackets it was time to check out the condition of the deck. The deck is 4.5mm steel rolled and welded. As I mentioned earlier. It's built like a tank. The bearings in the pulleys seem to be in great shape. The main pulley that sits on top in the box has what looks to be axle typwe bearings. I'll clean and repack them later.

Unlike most finish mowers, this one has only a few air baffles. Not very well designed. I was quite shocked since this mower was built by a well known agri mower company.

View attachment 350300 View attachment 350301

A closer look at the blades. They look like they have never been sharpened. The manual states not to over sharpen the blades but to leave themvery slightly blunted on the edge. It's alway good to balance then after shapening. I take a nail and put it in a vise horizontally and place the blades center on the nail to check for balance.

View attachment 350302

The mower is considered a two point hitch design. It trails behind the ATV. Somewhat poor design because no consideration for irregular terrain. This can be corrected by installing supporting wheels to the front of the deck to maintain the load so it will float. The mower has a U-joint so it is possible to make this modification and not compromise the PTO shaft.

The mower has two rear supporting wheels. Adjustable crank to lower of raise the rear part of the deck. The front is leveled with an "additude bar" which changed the leverage on the front mounting brack. Using the two allows for even adjustment. The wheels are amazingly in good shape. They are baloon air filled. They where flat. I put 35psi as per directions and they hold air well. Next comes media blasting.

View attachment 350305

Creating decals

Just about everything on this ATV is out of production. No replacement parts. The FM-48 finish mower decals are in sad shape.

View attachment 355078

The body has heavy rust and the bottom as well. I couldn't break the bolts loose on the three blades. (Left Hand thread) so I went to Harbour Freight and bought one of thier 1000# torque impacts with my discount coupon. That bad boy took them off without blinking an eye.

The decals are really faded and damaged. Replacements.. Forget about it. Now it was research time. I knew I could reproduce the decals in a paint program. But.. Most vinyl cutting shops require a vector image so it can be scaled without distortion. JPEG files once you blow them up in size pixelate. A vector file such as a decal.svg remains the same reguarless of size. I discovered a program called Inkscape which is a free open source vectoring program that's gaining popularity. In many cased it's superior to Coral Draw. I ran my Bitmaps files (XXX.BMP) and converted them into a SVG vector file. Turned out perfect. Now I need to find a vinyl sign shop to cut the vinyl for my decals.

View attachment 355079 View attachment 355080 View attachment 355081

I may invest in a vinyl plotter cutter and try making some on my own. I've got my eye on another YFP350U Terrapro with brush cutter(RC-42) and garden tiller (TP-38) not too far from me.

The paint on the mower deck I'm going to have to custom mix.. I've already media blaster parts of the mower. I'm in the process of removing rust from the bottom of the mower. This thing is built like a tank. Stay tuned -kid

Making new decals

I bought a vinyl cutter plotter from US Cutter on ebay. Just a 14" wide el cheapo. I got to spend some time on it tonight cutting some decals for my grandsons sign he's going to take to the Grand Ole Opry to see the Fresh Beat Band (kids show on Nickelodeon) He's crazy about them. Anyway I figured out the basics and decided to make some decals for the Terrapro FM-48 mower.

View attachment 356579 View attachment 356580 View attachment 356581

I went shopping over the past weekend and found and brought home another Terrapro with the RC-42 brush cutter and TC-38 Garden Tiller.

Pictures to follow. -kid

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro #26  
I went shopping over the past weekend and found and brought home another Terrapro with the RC-42 brush cutter and TC-38 Garden Tiller.
Pictures to follow. -kid
Careful, we'll have to start calling you the JohnThomas of Terrapros...

Aaron Z

Bought a second Terrapro

I got it into the basement tonight. Mechanically it's pretty sound. The rear brakes either need the lines bled or adjusted. Petal doesn't seem to do anything. Fronts work fine. This is the first time I've really got to look it over closely. Only found one area I'm going to have to work on. Either patch or replace the entire front fenders. Here's the pictures.

View attachment 360644 View attachment 360645 View attachment 360646 View attachment 360647 View attachment 360648 View attachment 360649 View attachment 360650 View attachment 360651 View attachment 360652 View attachment 360653 View attachment 360654 View attachment 360655 View attachment 360656 View attachment 360657 View attachment 360658 View attachment 360659 View attachment 360660

The first picture shows a suitcase weight rack mounted on the front bumper. I didn't get the weights so I'll probably be looking for some. From net pictures they look like garden mower weights. Probably thirty to forty pounds each. This is to counter balance the garden tiller attachment that came with it.

Picture #6 shows a good photo of the PTO in the back.

Picture #10 shows the battery compartment. Looks a typical motorcycle battery. Going to upgrade that to a lawn mower battery like I did the first.

Pictures #8 and #9 show the inside of the rear rims. Two different rims with two different offsets. It make one tire look wider than the other. Tires are 25X12X8. 9" rims on the front. I'm sure I'll replace those rims.

The finish is badly faded, but I'm optimistic I can get the finish looking almost new. The UPS's man wanted to buy it as is. He was blown away and had never heard of such an ATV.

Here we go.. Round two. :thumbsup: -kid

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro #29  
It turned out nice.

Thanks Roger. The mower turned out better than I hoped for. The decals I made worked like a champ. I've got a 42" brush cutter I'm going to tackle next (RC-42). I'll have to make the decals for it as well since decals for these attachments don't exist. -robert