Bout to purchase a 2638

/ Bout to purchase a 2638 #1  

sliderbuck

Bronze Member
Tractor
2023 Kubota l4060
Anyone here have a 2638? Looked at one yesterday and real close to getting it. Only thing i dont like is the placement of the 3 point lever handle and the gear range selection. Theyre beside the seat and close together. Anyone else notice this or have an issue with it? I know my knuckles and arm would hit the gear selector as i slid the 3 point lever back and forth. If i purchase it ill def be modifying these somehow.

/ Bout to purchase a 2638 #2  
Anyone here have a 2638? Looked at one yesterday and real close to getting it. Only thing i dont like is the placement of the 3 point lever handle and the gear range selection. Theyre beside the seat and close together. Anyone else notice this or have an issue with it? I know my knuckles and arm would hit the gear selector as i slid the 3 point lever back and forth. If i purchase it ill def be modifying these somehow.
Working for a Mahindra dealer, this is one of my favorite machines.
Engine smooth as silk .More than adequate lift capacity and a weighty tractor at that.
I also dislike the closeness of the 3 pt controls and gear selector but I find one can get used to just about anything.

/ Bout to purchase a 2638
Waiting to hear from the dealer today to see what they say about me modifying the levers. If it voids my warranty i wont be getting it. Just aggravating hitting your knuckles and arm on the gear lever while moving the 3pt.

/ Bout to purchase a 2638 #4  
I've had mine for 3 years and I have about 600 hours on it. I don't find the range selector lever to be problematic or in the wrong place. The three point lever could be more ergonomically accessible but it isn't a deal breaker. On facebook we have a Mahindra 2638 owners page that we have a nice library of files related to this tractor. Several people have made modifications to the three point lever that won't endanger the warranty, usually it involves taking off the rubber knob and slipping an extensions over the lever and screwing it onto the lever.

I've really enjoyed this tractor. Growing up and owning several straight gear shift tractors doing field work I was skeptical of the hydrostatic transmission, but I got to the point I was doing so much task work with a loader, in tighter areas, or mowing and grading with alot of directional changes (forward/backward) that I figured a hydro would be good for me. After owning this thing 3+ years it is great for most things. Mowing, grading, loader work, snow removal it is really nice. Tillage work (not a PTO powered rotary tiller) it is not great at, it lacks weight and in my opinion is hard on the hydro trans with a plow, ripper or chisel plow. The ride is rough, at least rougher than other tractors I have which are longer wheelbase and heavier, but the seat is nice and the suspension helps.

What I do regularly with it: I run a 6' finish mower on 2-4 acres worth of mowing, running a 6' bushhog, handling enough round bales or big square bales to feed 3 horses 6-9 months a year, my driveway is 1/4 mile long and hilly so I maintain it, dragging an arena rake at least weekly on my horse arena.

Thanks for the info birdhunter. Very informative. Got a link to the facebook page?

/ Bout to purchase a 2638 #7  
I looked at new tractors and this stood out to me also. That and the triangle attached to the rear window blocking vision. Duh. What were they thinking???
Kioti vs Mahindra View attachment 823099
20230924_163442.jpg

/ Bout to purchase a 2638 #8  
I suspect you've already made up your mind to buy, or not buy, but just in case you haven't:
I've had my 2538 (predecessor to your 2638) for 7 yrs now. 1825 hours without any problems. Work the hell out of it while I was building a house in 2016. Used the FEL for several hundred hours that year alone, backfilling, spreading gravel, dirt, etc. Larger bucket than comparable JD 3038, and much heavier which is great for pulling..

Only difference b/t my model and the 2638 is you get a suspension seat and cupholder. Your joystick controls are on the fender, mine are on the loader superstructure. Other than that it's the same drive train, tranny, etc.

Now most of the work it does is using a 7' finish mower, 7' aerator, and continued use of the FEL. If you plan on getting a bush hog, or finish mower, go at least 6'. 7' if you can get it. The tractor will handle it no problem.

I ended up getting a Kubota L4060. It was a lot more money but twice the tractor. All the controls are laid out way better than the mahindra. World of difference in the hydrostatic pedal also. Def satisfied with choosing the Kubota over the Mahindra.

/ Bout to purchase a 2638 #10  
I ended up getting a Kubota L4060. It was a lot more money but twice the tractor. All the controls are laid out way better than the mahindra. World of difference in the hydrostatic pedal also. Def satisfied with choosing the Kubota over the Mahindra.

I've had my L4060 cab for 7 years, and it is an awesome machine.
Enjoy.