Box Scraper Box Blade Ballast

/ Box Blade Ballast #21  
N80 said:
Don't forget that there have been numerous accounts of folks breaking teeth and shanks on objects in the ground and a few accounts of people bending the box blades themselves. So even with no added weight you have to be careful. If I were to add a lot of extra weight I would be even more careful.
Well, I can't disagree with that, since I've done it many times myself. We are on the same page ... I was just making the point to TRY to remove the obstacle if you can....and there's nothing wrong with being careful. Snagging whatever is a PITA no doubt! I have shared this pic before...

Thanks John and kubuddha,
John, I know you have a keen eye for stuff like that.
Here is the link to the boxblade work I did if you're interested. It might have been a little overkill, but what the hey? Works for me.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/77667-gear-driven-hydraulic-scarifier-system.html

That road was originally bulldozed in by my road guy, but I have maintained myself for a long time now. I know what you mean about pulling up rocks, even boulders with the boxblade. I must have pulled 100x as many with the boxblade as with the backhoe (only used for stubborn giant ones) but some pulled out were really big. I have damaged my lower drag links pushing backwards on really big ones too. So far, no damage to the boxblade or the tractor though. My Kama weighs in over 7,000lbs loaded and with implement on, so I have to watch it.
Here is a thread on some new roads and trails I use the boxblade on.
New Roads and Trails

/ Box Blade Ballast
Roxynoodle, I also thought the stake could be set in cement, but actually it is rebar that the guy before me used to hold some 2 x 6's in place for a ground level flower bed. I'd say these beds have been there for over 15 yrs and there is a "stake" about every four feet. Total bed size is 10ft by 40ft so you get an idea of the job ahead. I can't budge any of them. My second thought was if he had cemented these in he was more **** than I thought. I wonder if some roots have gotten hold of these.

/ Box Blade Ballast #23  
Deerfoot said:
Roxynoodle, I also thought the stake could be set in cement, but actually it is rebar that the guy before me used to hold some 2 x 6's in place for a ground level flower bed. I'd say these beds have been there for over 15 yrs and there is a "stake" about every four feet. Total bed size is 10ft by 40ft so you get an idea of the job ahead. I can't budge any of them. My second thought was if he had cemented these in he was more **** than I thought. I wonder if some roots have gotten hold of these.

Most rebar I see has concrete around it.... That may well be part of an old Windmill;)

N80>>> Cat like reflexes huh? You Dr's ALWAYS know where the Fountain of Youth is:D It's the bruise on my belly from hitting the steering wheel, er I mean lap belt that gets me...:eek:

/ Box Blade Ballast #24  
rback33, I'm working on that fountain of youth, and when I find it won't be a secret! I'll sell you not one, but two bottles at the low, low price of $19.95 (plus shipping and handling, tax, title and tags). If it doesn't make you feel twenty years younger send it in for a full refund, minus the $44.95 shipping and handling.:D

But I was kidding about the 'cat-like' reflexes. I didn't have cat-ilke reflexes when I was 19 much less now that I'm, er, 40-something. :(

This does remind me (we old folks do like to reminisce), of when I used to work on a line crew. We spent the better part of a summer taking down lines and poles out across a bunch of fields. We had to hand jack the poles out of the ground and unscrew the anchor rods to get them out of the ground. When the anchors were rusted in or the pole was butt-swollen and wouldn't come out...we dug them out. I was really irked that we couldn't just cut the poles down and hacksaw the anchor heads and leave the rest. Being a typical 19 year old suburbanite, it never dawned on me that such buried obstacles would play heck on a plow, disk, box etc. The old crew chief gruffly explained the consequences of leaving them in place.