Box blade, blade depth

/ Box blade, blade depth #1  

Stomper

Gold Member
Tractor
2017 Kubota L2501
I am going to add some removable end plates on my rear blade to help keep material contained for redistribution when I start to landscape my yard. Buying a box blade for the job is is out of the question so adding the end plates is the route Im going. Im just curious as to how much lower the blade on a box blade sits compared to the side panels so I know what height I need to make the end plates.

/ Box blade, blade depth #2  
The blade on my box blade extends 2 1/2" below the box frame (both sides and back). Hope this helps.

/ Box blade, blade depth
Yes it does. thanks. I checked the landpride site and they had measurements for each model of box blade. The ones that were rated for my tractor were anywhere between 1 1/8" and 1 7/8". I'm guessing that all depends on the width of the BB and HP of the tractor. My blade is 6' so I'm thinking to go 1 1/2". I could also make some adjustable skid shoes to reduce that if the 1 1/2" is too much.

/ Box blade, blade depth #4  
That sounds about right. It will definitely scoop up the dirt.

/ Box blade, blade depth #5  
I have a Bush Hog 720 roll over box blade. In the box blade configuration the cutting blade is two and a quarter inches below the side plates. This would be when the ROBB is in the dead level position. I can change the depth of cut, somewhat, by retracting the hydraulic top link.

However - in my soil type - 2 1/4" cut can be a good load on the tractor. I've never wanted a deeper cut and many times will reduce the cut with the top link.

I can retract (shorten) the top link. The entire box blade will rotate forward on its skids and the cut will be less.

/ Box blade, blade depth
Thanks for the info guys. Most of the soil I will be moving will be sandy so it should scrape up nice and not be to hard and I won't be moving it far.

/ Box blade, blade depth #7  
Curious, so I just walked out and did a quick measure on my Landpride BB0548. It is obviously a small box blade but it looks to be about 1.5in or so. Just a reference point.

Maybe you could design brackets that would allow you to drill additional holes to allow you to adjust/set it at a different height if needed. Good luck with your design!

/ Box blade, blade depth #8  
Curious, so I just walked out and did a quick measure on my Landpride BB0548. It is obviously a small box blade but it looks to be about 1.5in or so. Just a reference point.

Maybe you could design brackets that would allow you to drill additional holes to allow you to adjust/set it at a different height if needed. Good luck with your design!

Just a random observation, Mate, but have you noticed that good Members of TBN do that often? As in, "Hang on, I'm going to drop everything and walk over to my 'shed'/'implement'/'tractor'/'whatever is being discussed' and confirm (right now, whatever the time is) what I have to help with the problem/question."

Heck, I'll even take & post a picture too, if it'll help.

(yeah, OK. I've had a couple glasses of an excellent Shiraz... :proposetoast:)

/ Box blade, blade depth #9  
Just a random observation, Mate, but have you noticed that good Members of TBN do that often? As in, "Hang on, I'm going to drop everything and walk over to my 'shed'/'implement'/'tractor'/'whatever is being discussed' and confirm (right now, whatever the time is) what I have to help with the problem/question."

Heck, I'll even take & post a picture too, if it'll help.

(yeah, OK. I've had a couple glasses of an excellent Shiraz... :proposetoast:)

We'll, I'd have to admit, it's much more likely to get me to do this in summer time, than say mid-winter, when there's an 8' pile of snow burying some of my attachments and it's -40F(C) out.

Lol.

/ Box blade, blade depth #10  
I have a Bush Hog 720 roll over box blade. In the box blade configuration the cutting blade is two and a quarter inches below the side plates. This would be when the ROBB is in the dead level position. I can change the depth of cut, somewhat, by retracting the hydraulic top link.

However - in my soil type - 2 1/4" cut can be a good load on the tractor. I've never wanted a deeper cut and many times will reduce the cut with the top link.

I can retract (shorten) the top link. The entire box blade will rotate forward on its skids and the cut will be less.

I got around to regrading my driveway last night after work. On the first pass, I had it set level to a full cut, with the rippers down, once the 6' box got full it stopped me cold (I actually think I found a tree root under the drive) and had to switch the HST to 1st and engage the front diff to complete the first pass.

Lol.

After the first pass, I flipped the rippers up, and angled the front blade up, so the rear blade was just spreading, and was able to cruise along in HST 2 and back in 2wd.

But yeah, a full box with rippers down is definitely a load.