Box Blade for Small Stump Removal

/ Box Blade for Small Stump Removal #11  
Yes it didn't have any problems with the 4" pine stumps from the thinning of a plantation but after a number of acres, I grew impatient and hauled the dozer to the site to finish. I would straddle the row of stumps and put a rip on each side of them, then the third pass right down the middle of the stumps and the final pass was scooping them into the FEL bucket. Impatience grew when I would frequently have to stop and back up and rehook the stump as it slipped out. I had hundreds to do, so if you have fewer you may not grow as impatient as I did.

/ Box Blade for Small Stump Removal #12  
TSC:

CountyLine® Middle Buster - 2128228 | Tractor Supply Company

Then, if you don't have the tools or ability to do it yourself, go to a welding shop and have them cut a piece of plate to make it into this:

CountyLine® Sub Soiler - 2128333 | Tractor Supply Company

I had an old shredder blade that I used to make the plate for mine. I've hooked roots up to 6" diameter and pulled them out with mine. You just drop the subsoiler blade on the ground behind the small stumps you are talking about and I bet it would rip them right out.

/ Box Blade for Small Stump Removal
Thanks all. I will let you know how it goes later this week when I get to pullin' on 'em!

/ Box Blade for Small Stump Removal #14  
Personally I would try what you were intending in the first place (since you already have the box scraper) use two of the rippers a foot or so away from each side of the stump. Go down a little at a time till you hit a root then depending on the size take the chainsaw or an axe and cut it. Then continue gently pulling/lifting, do not hit it at any speed.
Dennis

For a low investment, you could try a brush grubber for some extra versatility.

I was reading about some guys on here using that the other day, actually. Thanks! Looks like they have one down at the local Northern Tool. I might go check that out.

/ Box Blade for Small Stump Removal #17  
I have the TSC Sub-soiler ($130) and it can pull up decaying stumps pretty easily. Flush (2-4 inches) to the ground is easiest so you can drive right over them. Larger ones can be hooked and lifted/snapped with the 3pt. Used a toothbar on the FEL to pick up the debris. I also have a brush grubber ($95), but it is a 2 person job because you'll be jumping in and out of the seat to un-hook and re-hook. Works well but I'm limited to 3-4 inch max because of 25 hp tractor. I'll cut the trees to a 4 foot height and pull from there to remove roots and all. If you try to pull a 20 ft sapling, the top of the tree will be coming your way as you pull it forward. The grubber actually works the best with my 4x4 truck in low gear off the hitch receiver, but still a 2 person job. Pretty low cost approach for removing smaller tree stumps and roots.

Good luck!

Thank you all for the feedback, it's given me some good ideas / plans of attack!