Box Blade Help

/ Box Blade Help #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Hi Folks, first time seriously tryig the box blade today. Im removing the grass and top soil froma 80x130 area for a riding ring.

I have the scarifiers dropped down to help tear thru the top layer.

problem is, the scarifiers will cut thru 2 or 3", but the blade itsself is riding an inch or 2 above the ground, it doesnt scrape :mad:.

-Ive adjusted the top link to get as aggressive as i can. -- no change
-the 3pt control lever is set as low as it can go
- I adjusted the vertical links - no change
- when i disconnect the blade from the 3pt the lowert control arms will go way below where the ride on the blade, so theyre not hung up

whats the Deal? can anyone help?

/ Box Blade Help #2  
sounds like the toplink is not long enough

/ Box Blade Help #3  
Some pictures would help a lot. You know, a pic is worth a thousand words kind of thing.

/ Box Blade Help #4  
Will it work if you raise the scarifiers? So you have the box blade tilted forward? It could be you are asking the boxblade to do too much at the same time. You also may need to add weight to help get the box blade down and/or use the scarifiers first to break up the grass and then use the blade to scrape. For some reason, perhaps your soil, the scarifiers will only dig in so far down thus the blade is above the ground. Can you post some pics of your setup? What type of soil do you have under the grass? As mentioned above make sure your toplink is long enough.

/ Box Blade Help
Hi Guys, ill take a pic next time Im up.

I have to replace one of the pins on the BB too (one that a lower 3pt arm attaches to,) came loose and got bent/stripped the threads

You may be righ wrt raising the scarifiers, the sod is hard, clay below, may be too much to ask of it.

thanks

/ Box Blade Help #6  
It could be you are asking the boxblade to do too much at the same time.

When I first got mine I tried the same thing as you & found that it WAS trying to do too much at once. With our rocky soils around here, I had much better luck using it as two different tools, one to break up the soil & then as one to grade. As I've gotten more time with it, I rarely use the scarifiers.

But it does sound as though your top link might be a bit short too.

Also check out the box blade video on Youtube from Everything Attachments.

/ Box Blade Help #7  
Also check out the box blade video on Youtube from Everything Attachments.

Good suggestion. I have looked at a few of there videos and seem to be very informative.

/ Box Blade Help #9  
I always used the plow points and then raised them and went back with the box blade. I never had much luck with them down and trying to move dirt at the same time.

hawk

/ Box Blade Help #10  
As others have said a picture would be the ideal thing here. On the rare occasion I use my scarifiers I find it works better to go back without them to actually move the materials. Weight is about the biggest asset when using a boxblade and blade angle is critical too - you shorten your toplink too much and it does just the opposite of what you think it should. Think of slicing something with a knife - you angle it too much and it just rides over instead of cutting into. Also a boxblade will start grabbing more material after you start getting a little material into the box - the weight of the material gathering in the box above the blade will force the blade down some more (like adding weight), that's why I like my hydraulic toplink - you can adjust the angle on the fly as you gain material in your box and/or ground angles change - unless you are on perfectly flat ground the angle of your blade is constantly changing as the front of your tractor goes up or down any grade/hump/hill. Boxblading is definitely a learned skill, practice is absolutely necessary.