Box Blade Help

/ Box Blade Help #1  

thegrouse

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota
Is my top-link too short? I went to buy one today but they didn't have a smaller one. I used it last week and the scarifiers would not go deep. Today it was a little better because of the rain. In this photo the toplink is at its' shortest setting. Thanks in advance.
photo-62.jpg

/ Box Blade Help #2  
A shorter top link will allow the front of the box blade to be lower than the back; therefore allowing the scarfires to penetrate deeper. If anything, your top link is too long.

/ Box Blade Help #3  
As mentioned, too short to get the full benefit from you box blade.

/ Box Blade Help #4  
My personal opinion is that your top link is to long. You should be able to tilt further forward than you are right now. Now as far as tilting further forward to get your rippers in the ground deeper, yes you can do that. No I would not do that. When people tilt their box blades forward to get the teeth in the ground deeper, they are changing the desired angle that the rippers are set at for digging and they put much more strain on everything by doing just that. If the box was designed to dig deeper, it would have longer rippers and would work at the designed angle of attack.

Just my :2cents:

/ Box Blade Help
Sounds good guys. I guess I will see if I can find one this week. Thanks

/ Box Blade Help #6  
Depending on what I am trying to do, grading vs moving dirt, determines the length of the top link. For cutting and moving dirt, my opinion would be to shorten the top link. For leveling/grading, I think you are set about right. I have dropped the scarifers and angled forward when in hard soil to get the ground broken. Seems it is putting the majority of the box weight on the scarifers to get it in the ground. Greatest concerns I have doing this is when working in wooded areas and contacting an object that won't move.