Box Blade of any use?

/ Box Blade of any use? #11  
I use the box blade for snow removal the majority of the time. Unless it's a really big storm, I find it very efficient because I can use it both forwards and backwards. I've also used the scarifiers to break up bad ice on my gravel drive, which worked very well.

If you have a hinged rear blade, I suggest you try bolting it in the fixed position if you have the ability. I keep mine bolted fixed and it works wonders for being able to use the rear blade as a 'guage wheel' and make fine adjustments to the top link. I find it works very well in this configuration.

I use an 8' hydraulic rear blade with the snow is really piled up (this last storm I plowed 18" and the box blade would NOT have been a good choice in this case). The rear blade works very well also, but I prefer the box blade for the smaller storms, it's actually faster than the rear blade, and more maneuverable.

(Edit: I wouldn’t find it nearly as useful without the hydraulic top link)
IMG_2113.JPG

/ Box Blade of any use? #12  
I use mine often in conjunction with my FEL. It works, not as efficient as a snow blade or blower, but it works. Sounds to me like you need to adjust the degree of cut between your front and rear blades on your BB. What I find works best for me is adjusting the top link so that the front blade is slightly higher than the rear blade. Then with my FEL in float and the front bucket pushing snow, I have the rear BB cutting and smoothing the path behind me. Works best when the ground is frozen solid. With the above method, I can get my driveway as smooth as a pool table top.

Of course it takes multiple passes if we get a lot of snow (we've been way short of snow this year). And if the BB fills with snow, of course it will spill over the top onto the driveway again. See "multiple passes" above. My plan for next year is to have a 3pt snow blower on instead of the BB, and do most of my snow moving with that. Just didn't get enough snowfall this year to get it approved by the CFO.

/ Box Blade of any use? #13  
I use a box blade on every bit of snow we get here. Needless to say, it doesn't get used at all. I do still enjoy reading about all of you that have to spend time out in the cold on a tractor, enjoying the elements.
David from jax

/ Box Blade of any use? #14  
Sandy,

Some of us are smart enough to buy ours with a heated cab...

:laughing:

/ Box Blade of any use? #16  
We got more snow over the last two days and I had my blower off and the box blade on. I was doing firewood and decided to try the box blade down my driveway. Only had about 3 or 4 inches of snow, but it actually worked good going down 200 feet of my driveway. The snow just kept rolling inside it.

It came down wet and got cold and froze though, so it was nice and crispy. May not have worked as good if it was wet or fluffy.

/ Box Blade of any use? #17  
We got more snow over the last two days and I had my blower off and the box blade on. I was doing firewood and decided to try the box blade down my driveway. Only had about 3 or 4 inches of snow, but it actually worked good going down 200 feet of my driveway. The snow just kept rolling inside it.

It came down wet and got cold and froze though, so it was nice and crispy. May not have worked as good if it was wet or fluffy.
Your storm is coming my way tonight, I'm going to let Mother Nature take care of it.

/ Box Blade of any use? #18  
Your storm is coming my way tonight, I'm going to let Mother Nature take care of it.

Hopefully you only get a bit like we did. They were calling for pure doom on the news but I only got about 4 inches. Ground was warm enough it melted a lot of it.