Box Scraper Box Blade Operation

/ Box Blade Operation #21  
A boxblade works by it's weight alone. The 3pt has no downward pressure. The blade is designed to scrape a very small amount of dirt from the surface and hold it in place to be delivered or released where you desire. It does take practice. I do lengthen my top link to work the soil because it changes the angle of the blade to dig a little deeper. but this works only to a point. Think of a knife blade whittling on a piece of wood. The blade straight up and down only scrapes and smooths the surface. Angle the blade and it will cut into the wood.:)

/ Box Blade Operation #22  
greggh said:
A boxblade works by it's weight alone.
No sir. You're not getting as much out of your BB as is possible either. Yes - weight is a factor. But the appropriate working angle and scarifier depth (and TPH settings) will cause them to DIG. Going by your description, you're just pulling/shoving material around at ground level. That's a secondary purpose of a BB. But when used for their design purpose, they DIG - then move.

//greg//

/ Box Blade Operation
I dont understand why anyone would want to DIG when they are in the process of smoothing out a surface that has enough dirt in the HIGH spots to fill in the low spots. I certainly dont want to remove any more dirt form the ground than i absolutely have to.

/ Box Blade Operation #24  
agford4x4 said:
I dont understand why anyone would want to DIG ...
I assure you, it's a bonafide use for a boxblade - and quite a bit moreso than just filling holes. I actually use my landscape rake for what you two guys are doing. If/when I actually want to do some light duty excavation work, I mount the boxblade.

But don't get overly concerned just because you don't currently grasp the full potential of your boxblade. One of these days the proverbial lightbulb will get brighter, as you eventually discover all the "new" things it can do for you.

//greg//

/ Box Blade Operation #25  
I was over at the neighbor's house today digging blackberries and nettles out for them with my box blade. Just using it level as I described before for filling holes isn't the best for removing plants because it tends to just scrape them off their roots (blackberries will grow back). I did angle it forward about an inch and then it digs itself under the roots. I will have to go back and fill everything that got dug out though, probably with the blade set level. What I described before (4-5 posts back I think) is the best way to level areas out, fix roads, etc. I have the manual that came with it (it's a Frontier) and that's what it says to do as well. Too bad there is no electronic version of it, and it's bound so it's not easy to scan either!

/ Box Blade Operation #26  
agford4x4 said:
Actually, my lower links are just about all the way down already. Its ok. the blade doesnt NEED to rest on the side plates. If it does, then it wont cut at all.

In my minds eye (I have glasses, so it may be wrong), I see your problem clearly.

Imagine this. Extend the top link to about the middle of range. Use the 3pt lift to pick up the box blade just a touch. Now, what happens when you shorten the top link? It picks up the back of the box. That is why you are getting "non-expected" results when shortening the top link as it is lifting the cutting edge off the ground.

The 3pt lower arms are connected to the lift arms by to steel members. One has the angle adjustment on it (right side) and the other is fixed. BUT, they can attach typically to 3 locations on the lower arms. The closer to the tractor the greater the range of lift and drop. A guess would be that your tractor is set up with them in the holes farthest from the tractor. Check it out and if so, move them to the middle or even closest to the tractor position. Then try the top link adjustments and see what happens.

jb

/ Box Blade Operation
Thanks for all the info guys. I think greg is on the money. I know i just need a LOT more practice with it so i can really see what settings do what and what they are used for.

/ Box Blade Operation #28  
Hi:
Don't know whether this is the proper place to ask my question or not. Reading through the previous posts I was greatly enlightened about the purpose of the blade, but no mention is made about the feet that mine is equipped with, or perhaps that goes without saying? I have a JD that came with my second hand tractor. I've never seen one used so have no idea HOW to use one. I have tried scraping up dirt and moving it to fill in holes sans the feet, which sort of works ok. But, moving dirt around to level and smooth out a site is a bit beyond my skills. (Haven't practiced a lot either, tho). One post mentioned that the closer the blade is to the tractor the greater the effect and something about "lower" side arms? What is that, exactly. My tractor is equipped with side arms and top link, but don't see anything else that might qualify. Perhaps it would behoove me to contact JD and see if I can get a manual, since mine wasn't equpped with one. Ok! "Nuff said for today. Hope I get a better handle on this with you guys help. Thanks!
Fladummy

/ Box Blade Operation #29  
With the scarifiers down they dig up more dirt to be moved around and you can lower the 3ph on the spots that need to be dug up and move the material to where you want to spread it.