Box Blade vs. Rear Blade

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #21  
I think HCJ was pretty close to the mark. There isn't much to a cheap box blade, unless your looking at a real heavy duty unit such as a Gannon. A good rear blade will be quite pricey, especially if it is controlled hydraulically. Like most everything, you get what you pay for.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #22  
I think HCJ was pretty close to the mark. There isn't much to a cheap box blade, unless your looking at a real heavy duty unit such as a Gannon. A good rear blade will be quite pricey, especially if it is controlled hydraulically. Like most everything, you get what you pay for.

Exactly, you get what you pay for.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #23  
I could only afford one to begin with and the salesman convinced me it needed to be the box scrapper. I bought remote land and had to make a driveway about 1/4 mile long. The box works great, and I won't be plowing any snow (at least not for awhile). Depends mostly on what you use it for.

+1. A box blade is just so much more versatile in my opinion. I actually prefer to even plow slow with my box blade. Granted I have to use a series of Y-patterns or herringbone patterns to do it but it works better in my case. I have a regular grader blade that I never use and plan to sell.
There is an interesting thread here on TBN somewhere about all that can be done with a box blade in a pinch - one guy even went as far as using the rippers as a primitive plow to till his garden.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #24  
You said that the box blade cannot be angled, what if some one make a Box Blade that can be angled, which one would you use, rear or box blade?

Thanks

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #25  
You said that the box blade cannot be angled, what if some one make a Box Blade that can be angled, which one would you use, rear or box blade?

Thanks

You have replied to a 4 year old post! Why not start a new thread where someone might actually read it.

in general box blades and grader blades have 2 different purposes.

grader blades are made to angle so that you can blade material off into a row to the side of the tractor.

box blades are made to be able to drag material and dig or level.

You can do some overlap work, but heavy digging and scarifire work needs a box. trying yo dig heavy with a angle blade will likely tear it up, plus you will lose dirt out the sides. Conversely, you would not be able to blade snow effectively with a box blade..

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #26  
To angle your box blade, build a short adapter for one side of your lower link arms on your 3 pt. You can get about 8 inches further out with no binding issues.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #27  
And where does that material go? It will load up in the corner of the box quickly

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #28  
I have both and I use my rear blade a LOT more than the box blade. I find myself doing a lot of back-dragging (pulling the blade backwards across the ground) to smooth gravel, dirt, then I can just backup and push (blade) dirt, rocks, clean ditches out, etc. I like my box blade a lot, but I think it's uses (for me) are much more limited than a rear blade.

Having said that, if I need to do some heavy work - dig in deep, move a LOT of material, etc, then the box blade is the tool for the job. It's much stronger than the rear blade.