Box blade weight

/ Box blade weight #1  

no eyed deer

Tractor
Tym 474t
I've been on here and other parts of the internet looking for a DIY solution to my box blade issue but before I could collect all the supplies that were required from a particular thread I read on here, I ended up finding a quick and easy resolve.
Back story - I help maintain a gravel road that sees a lot of traffic of all sorts and speeds which constantly creates potholes and wash boards
I have a TYM T474 with a woods box blade but it wasn't heavy enough and just seemed to skipped along the hard packed gravel. I needed more weight but I didn't want to cover up any access I had to the tines in the front of the box. Secondly I didn't want to spend a heap of cash for the dozen trips I might make a season ... I found some great ideas on here and came close to purchasing supplies when i came across an ad on my local fb marketplace and found a free cast iron hot water radiator 55 " long must weigh 350 lbs . I just had to remove it from the sellers home.I strapped it to the rear of my box blade it fits nicely on the rear side of the blade perfectly out of my way. Now combine that with my hydraulic top link I have a completely different animal to tear up the ground with ... if you need heavy weight and don't want to fart around with cement or other concoctions maybe this will solve your needs too

Last edited:
   / Box blade weight #2  
We filled the potholes on our companies parking lot this spring with crushed rock: Went well all summer, till it started to rain last week and every hole washed out.

I would rather use the ripper to cut the holes out so that the gravel that fills them in, can interlock with the existing material. If the ground is so hard that your boxblade needs weight, its too hard to interlock with the new material anyways...

Monday morning we get a paving contractor at the company, apparently we're making money this year 😅👌

/ Box blade weight
You're correct about the interlocking .
Now that I can get into the hard pack it allows for the fines ( sand and grit ) to bind the gravel together giving the interlock its as if we poured all new screened gravel down hopefully it will hold its shape till it freezes up.

/ Box blade weight #5  
I needed weight on my land plane for a similar road and issues. I ended up mounting a steel 55 gal drum on top. adjusting the water level adjusts the weight, full weight is around 500 pounds

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 69
   / Box blade weight #6  
On my little 60” box blade (probably 325 lbs) i added a 113lb loading dock bumper, the kind made from pieces punched out of old tires, to the back wall. I can still use the rear blade just fine but now in addition to adding weight to the blades it also acts as a nice soft push bumper. 🤣👍

/ Box blade weight #7  
On my little 60” box blade (probably 325 lbs) i added a 113lb loading dock bumper, the kind made from pieces punched out of old tires, to the back wall. I can still use the rear blade just fine but now in addition to adding weight to the blades it also acts as a nice soft push bumper. 🤣👍
Do you have a picture of that?

/ Box blade weight
Here is a couple more views . It's not completely finished.
I'll run a bolt thru a tine to hold the top in place and possibly a turnbuckle in the bottom corners to keep it from smacking around when I'm traveling to and from locations and yes some paint

Attachments

• 20231125_184514.jpg
    20231125_184514.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 20231125_183912.jpg
    20231125_183912.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
   / Box blade weight #10  
That outta work, they sure are heavy.
I had a little bigger one that sprung a leak about 40 years ago. I had 3 guys lined up to help move it out of the house but two of them suddenly got busy. We got it onto the front porch and that's where it stayed. I bet it's still there.