Box Scraper Box blade weighting, do you add weight?

/ Box blade weighting, do you add weight? #11  
I added two 50lb wts that came off of a bobcat to my 5ft BB. Look closely on the very back of it and you will see them bolted to it. I also have (4) railroad joint bars that I'm going to add to it as well. You see that 4"x4" angle iron? I'm gonna lay two joint bars on that "shelf" on each side of the BB, just as soon as I figure out a good way to attach them to it. Don't know how much my BB weighed to start with but would guess 350lbs? I figure I'm adding an extra 200lbs when I get the joint bars on it.

PatsEasyChange014.jpg

/ Box blade weighting, do you add weight? #12  
I put weight on my box scrapper and rear blade, a necessity for me with hard ground and packed snow and ice.

What I found more effective than weight on the box is a Hydraulic top link, with the ability to change cutting angle on the fly...

Starting with overly aggressive angle to get it to dig down deep then leveling off when you reach your depth.

Box scrapper and HTL were made for each other.

JB

Attachments

• P1068269.JPG
    P1068269.JPG
    441.8 KB · Views: 656
  • P8299679.JPG
    P8299679.JPG
    429.5 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCN3859.JPG
    DSCN3859.JPG
    864.6 KB · Views: 385
   / Box blade weighting, do you add weight? #13  
I think adding weights is a good way to fix up a lighter box blade but given the choice I prefer to have this weight add to the structural strength of the implement. Here is a picture of my 4520 and boxblade.

Last edited:
   / Box blade weighting, do you add weight?
I think adding weights is a good way to fix up a lighter box blade but given the choice I prefer to have this weight add to the structural strength of the implement. Here is a picture of my 4520 and boxblade.

I agree I have beefed mine up a bit. I laugh when I think about something my son said to me when he was 7, I brought home a brand new log splitter and he said when are we going to work on it to make it better? I about busted a gut. From his perspective everything needs beefed up.

/ Box blade weighting, do you add weight? #15  
Jenkinsph, do you have a John Deere "TnT" set up?

/ Box blade weighting, do you add weight? #17  
I ave one of the lightest weight box blades, I added a real cutting edge and a piece of railroad iron across the back. The BEST addition was the hydro top link, I had the opportunity yesterday to try out the box blade with it.
Wow, leaned it forward and the rippers sank and dug, after loosening up the gravel leaned it back and started filling the pot holes. So handy....

/ Box blade weighting, do you add weight? #18  
I don't need to add weight to mine, I don't know what it weighs any closer than "a LOT".
I loosen up the area first with the shanks, which helps find potential problem patches.
I can't see needing to add weight - as long as the top link is set to get the angle right.
Shanks should tend to pull it down anyway, even when set shallow.

Not a problem I can help much with, since I seem to avoid it (-:

/ Box blade weighting, do you add weight? #19  
I use the suitcase weights that suppose to go of the front bumper, although
now with the weight of the FEL I find myself having to weight down the rear, I have 3 of them I need 1 more to make it even weights, but I think the box coulod hold total of 6... 3 on each side
I know they will be in the way once ever use the box scrap but they do put easily on and take off,;)

Last edited:
   / Box blade weighting, do you add weight? #20  
I use the suitcase weights that suppose to go of the front bumper, although
now with the weight of the FEL I find myself having to weight down the rear, I have 3 of them I need 1 more to make it even weights, but I think the box coulod hold total of 6... 3 on each side
I know they will be in the way once ever use the box scrap but they do put easily on and take off,;)

The weights in your picture shouldn't be much of a problem and could be easily raised with the addition of a piece of flatbar on each horizontal crosspiece. I suspect they would be a real help blading hard surfaces.

Last edited: