Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing!

/ Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #11  
So, will you be raising the house or lowering your ROPS?

/ Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #12  
I'm not sure how you could rig up some kind of reminder on your garage, maybe just a small metal rod on the edge of the roof with a piece of rope hanging down.

Anyway when I first used mine I backed right up to the edge of the deck, and looked and I was less then an inch from hitting it, now I don't have to worry I always see the rope hanging down.

01x728guide.jpg

Rob

/ Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #13  
   / Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #14  
It happens to the best of us!

About a week after getting my Kubota, I decided to build a lean-to behind my shed in order to shelter the tractor. I no sooner had the frame up and braced nice and square when I drove the tractor under for the night. Well, the ROPS hit the header and totally racked the whole frame out of whack. I guess I am lucky I made that mistake early, before I poured concrete around the posts and had finished building the whole thing. What's dumb is that there wasn't a roof on it at that point, so driving under for the night was more of a ceremonial formality with no benefit anyhow!

After that, I hung some ribbons from the header as a reminder, and I usually keep the rops at 3/4 height by default, only raising it when I go off to do a project. Hopefully, this is one mistake I won't repeat!

At our next place, I will build a proper barn with a door that is high enough to make the ROPS a non-issue. Actually, I'll make it even higher than needed to idiot-proof any future tractor upgrades as well. If anyone asks why my doors are so tall, I'll say it's because I'm an idiot and leave it at that....

/ Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #15  
My Kioti clears the enterance okay with the Hardtop roof I have on it, BUT I almost ripped the roll-up door off the wall when I had my carrry-all lifted on the back with a rake in the holder. Rake cleared okay, but the dang yellow rope attached to the center of the roll-up snagged on the tines of the rake.

My Granddaughter saw it and hand-signaled me to stop. Otherwise, bye-bye door. I changed the positioning and lowered the rake on the carry-all and am trying to figure a better place for the rope. I also added a mirror that lets me see everything going on behind me...

/ Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #16  
First day - I unloaded the tractor off the trailer....and proceeded to catch a limb driving forward. Put the front end of the tractor in the air. Lowered the ROPS and I bet I haven't raised it more than twice since. I live / work in the woods with a LOT of limbs.

/ Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #17  
One of the first things my dad did when he got his modern tractor was remove the top half of the rops. He said he never had a tractor off its wheels in 50 yrs. and wasn't going to mess with putting it up and down. Luckily I have an 8' door which mine just squeaks under.

/ Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #18  
mikim said:
First day - I unloaded the tractor off the trailer....and proceeded to catch a limb driving forward. Put the front end of the tractor in the air. Lowered the ROPS and I bet I haven't raised it more than twice since. I live / work in the woods with a LOT of limbs.

I have a similar situation where most of my work is in trees where the ROPS presents (in my conditions and opinion) more potential for danger/damage than safety. My previous tractor did not have a ROPS. However, I operated the new one with ROPS for the first few weeks until I was familiar with the tractor's handling and stability (which are far better than the previous tractor). During that time I left the garage door lowered half way after taking out the tractor, just to remind me to lower the ROPS when I returned.

I realise removing the ROPS can be controversial and am not advocating others do it.

I also removed the fender mounted turn signal lights because it was just a matter of time before I would have lost them to tree branches.

My dealer told me an amusing story about one the first sales of his new dealership a couple of years ago. He hauled a tractor to the customer's farm so he could try it out. He and the customer's wife watched as the fellow had a great time hauling and spreading gravel from a large pile. Then the guy finished and headed straight for the garage. The dealer ran across the yard, yelling to warn him. But the customer could not hear over the engine. He tore the overhead door off the rails. There was a lot of cursing, but the fellow calmed down and invited him in for coffee. After a bit more discussion about the mistake, he pulled out his cheque book and bought the tractor.

/ Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #19  
I haven't seen the garage door but my neighbors nice plastic canopy on his 5 series JD is toast!It happens.........I had my L4240 HSTC back up to the garage door to do something and hit reverse instead of forward..cracked the top.

/ Boy did I Just do a Stupid Thing! #20  
if your not used to ROPS they can get you in trouble.i try to never put my tractor in places the ROPS will cause probs.

My front end loader has caused me some trouble. I'm usually using a 3 pt attachment (bushhog, boxblade) and forget about the loader bucket. I've taken out part of a deck and a good sized chunk out of my light pole. I told the light company it was like that when I moved in. ;)