Bradco 511 or 609 on an L4610?

/ Bradco 511 or 609 on an L4610? #11  
Peter, is Bradco saying they won't stand behind the backhoe if you go with the 611? I could see where Kubota wouldn't stand behind the L4610 if you mounted the larger B/H but Bradco not supporting the 611 has me confused.

Bill C

/ Bradco 511 or 609 on an L4610?
Glenn, you're too right about that. I'm a complete addict. Where's tractor's annonomous?

But at the same time, I do actually use the stuff, and my tractoring circumstances have shifted quite a bit in the past 2 years. I've shifted from the tractor living and being used at my 2 acre home with one or two trips a year to my place in VT, to living at the place in VT with one or two trips a year back home for occational work. The place in VT requires that I maintain the full road going to it, even where it's not on my property, plus there are years of work to do in clearing old field, rebuilding walls and foundations, etc. etc. There are fields to reclaim and then cut, outbuildings to construct, hydro systems to install, etc. It's great fun and tractorman's heaven. We are also trying to acquire a bunch of neighboring land in conjunction with a conservation organization and I'd end up owning/managing that land too.

My 4 foot field mower, 800 lb loader, 4 1/2 foot snow blower, and 7 foot BH are starting to look small. They were HUGE when I got them. Truely the biggest and baddest, but my world grew around them. As more of our lives shift from 2 acres to what might become more like 500, I have great justifications fro even bigger and badder.

How's that for a rationalization.

/ Bradco 511 or 609 on an L4610? #13  
Peter, Have you considered buying a used full size TLB for all the digging projects and use the 4610 for the 3pt tasks? The Bradco hoes are great, but not cheap. A few thousand more would get you into a used commercial TLB with “more power” as Tim Allen would say./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif It is so much fun spending others money./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

MarkV

/ Bradco 511 or 609 on an L4610? #14  
I'll chime in with Dr. Glenn - you are approaching Spring with a case of backhoe lust. Maybe time to face it, your checkbook is a gonner.

Dr. Mark also makes good points - the scale of your Vt. projects might make the 4610 / 511 combo seem too small as well. A tempoarary investment in a commercial TLB might make sense. Figure maybe $25k to get 4wd and useable condition without daily repair. When I got my big Bradco I thought it would do anything - but it has limits. To make a real difference over what you have, a commercial TLB might be something to consider.

My question about the backhoe I think may be misleading you on my tractor uses. Today my backhoe is on the tractor maybe 25% of the time, and I don't expect that to change looking forward. That's the primary reason I've passed on the idea of an L48 or the like.

Thou doest protest too loudly.

Weren't you asking all about Grand Ls a while ago? Didn't you dig up all the info on Bradco? I was happy with my 2910 until I read all those posts.

Nurse, I think we found the next patient. Actually, the whole TBN membership can line up.

/ Bradco 511 or 609 on an L4610? #17  
Peter, to stay with the more interesting Freudian aspect of this, I have good news for you: You are NOT rationalizing. No one here would advise a novice with 160 acres (much less 500 acres) to get a 2910. You are realistically, not rationalistically, in big tractor circumstances. In fact, you are officially not allowed under TBN rules and the United States Constitution to have a puny 2910 on 160 rural acres. Maybe you should be thinking M series. I think some of them are getting hydro......Rethink L48, keeping the 2910 for your NH house and occasional mowing in VT......If you go 4610, get the bloody backhoe you WANT the most and forget the legal schmegal warranty BS which they all would try to escape from anyway. (I agree you should get their policy in writing, so you can see what the heck their salesman or technical guy thinks he's talking about legally.)........I guess I forgot to announce that I have overcome both my bigger tractor and backhoe lusts. I am now convinced that the 2910 is the right size for my 11 acres and that I will rent a miniexcavator for the hoe jobs I have in mind.

Now you're talking. Keep it up.

Remember my post about why HST doesn't exist in bigger tractors? I was thinking M.

/ Bradco 511 or 609 on an L4610? #19  
Peter I went to the local auction here in Tulsa last month and they had 7 full size backhoes go for less than $6000.00, they were all in good shape and seemed to operate well. They may take more maintenance but it would surely cure the backhoe envy