Brake Light

/ Brake Light #1  

Bluesteel

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT 357HC
I noticed my right side round break light has a crack in it. Doesn't look like anything hit it more like it may have got hot and became brittle. I was looking to order a replacement online. The lamp part # is 40261649. The LS parts site (Sundowner) is not very good imo. I entered the part number but it didn't recognize it. Has anyone ordered parts on line and if so from what site? Thanks.

/ Brake Light #2  
I have not ordered parts online but have looked up the parts I need and called my local dealer who gave me the price and ordered parts for me. I had them ship direct to me since it saved me a trip to the dealer to pick up. Shipping costs the same whether part is sent to my dealer or to me. I've mainly ordered filters (most were in stock) and one replacement mirror (mirror fell out of the plastic housing). I'm surprised more dealers haven't set up websites to order parts from like I've seen for other brand tractors.

/ Brake Light
Here is an image of the right brake light showing the cracks. The center is actually open. The left one also has spider web cracks. I would like to replace them with LED but can't seem to find 3 1/2". The way these are attached behind the fender may be more trouble than what it is worth. Can a few of you check your brake lights and see if yours are cracking. Not sure if this is more of a material defect or not.

IMG_0340.JPG

/ Brake Light #5  
I just looked at mine (I think they are the same lens) and mine are not cracked. I will say there is nothing there to protect the lens should a tree branch or any other object smack into them. I also see a little scratch on the left side in your pic on the blue fender. Its possible you may have backed into something without knowing it.

/ Brake Light
I think what you are seeing is reflection. I took the picture about dusk with the parking brake on. I'll take a couple more tomorrow in the daylight. I first thought possibly heat from the bulb may have degraded the plastic since they are on when the parking brake is set. Sometimes I let the engine run depending on conditions. The lens almost looks brittle in the center then spider webs out from there. Thanks for looking at yours George.

/ Brake Light
It's a strange mount that I will try and explain. On the back side of the plastic fender near the circular opening there are I think three raised pillars that except a screw in the center of them. They are made into the fender and are close to the opening. On the rim of the light there are three ears with a hole in each one that lines up with the pillars and the screws go through each ear into the plastic. Without measuring, I don't think there is much room for a larger diameter light. I found 3 inch or 4 inch but no 3 1 1/2". I don't want to get into cutting the opening larger. Thanks for the link.

/ Brake Light #9  
I don't even worry about mine. One of the fender mountedones is gone a couple of trees got the other one does not look happy

/ Brake Light
Brake light lens update. I ordered two new lens assemblies from local New Holland dealer. They are the same lights used on the Boomer. Round, 3 1/2" diameter, red, amber with wiring harness sold as one unit. I'm going to install LED bulbs in each lens. The factory incandescent bulbs build up too much heat and degrade the lens over time. When you leave the tractor running and have the parking brake set the brake lights are on. I bought LED 1157 brake lights and LED 1156 turn/flasher for amber for $15.00 two pack. Much brighter but more importantly much cooler.

I would recommend even if you don't see any degrading of the lens on your tractor to change the bulbs to LED before it can occur. The replacement lens assembly per side is $36.