Brake steering?

/ Brake steering? #1  

MikeBurr

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
I have the TC33d(hydrostat=go pedal), the brakes have a pedal for the left & right wheels, but how can you use the brakes to steer? If I take my foot off the go pedal, the tractor comletely stops. There is no way to operate the go and one of the brake pedals at the same time!!!! Has anyone any hints on how work all pedals at the same time? The reason I would/need to steer is I use the FEL to back drag when smoothing dirt and the front wheels will leave the ground quit often(lumpy hard ground). If I could use the brakes to add a little steering, the leveling would go a lot faster.
Anyone tried to move the brakes to the left side? Seems like they would be alot more usefull on the left side.

TC33D

/ Brake steering? #2  
Interesting question MikeBurr. I've wondered about the brake and HST pedal several times when I found myself in a precarious position on a steep hill. If I take my foot off the brake, the tractor rolls, possibly into a dangerous situation. The amount of time between the releasing the brake and applying the HST can be scary. I've been in this position often enough that I've learned how to use my left foot on the HST and my right foot on the brake. A bit awkward but works. Much easier for forward than reverse! Still, makes me wonder if the guys that design these things ever use them.

Larry...

/ Brake steering? #3  
I'm not brand bashing here, but the location of the brakes on the same side as the HST pedals was one of several factors which eliminated NH and Kubota (and Cub Cadet for that matter) from my possible purchase list. I suspect that the reason the engineers (or the bean counters) designed them that way is to save money. Keeping the brakes on the right side regardless of transmission type means one less thing to design (and one less thing to manufacture and keep in stock) for the company. You may not need to use the turning brakes often with an HST but when you need them you NEED THEM./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

18-29930-MJBTractor.gif

Fugitive from the Cubicle Police

/ Brake steering? #4  
Have to agree with MJB. When I looked at the JD 4200 as part of my tractor investigation the saleman really beat up on the idea of the "uselessness" of the brakes on other brands (being on the same side as the hydrostatic pedal). I basically decided that for my purposes it was not an issue. In all applications I see myself doing I can't really see using the brakes to steer. Perhaps this is because I never grew up with tractors in the fields using brake steering?! In any event, although it may be a shortcoming of design for Kubota etc, it is one I consciously decided wasn't going to "break the deal" for me anyway.

Kevin

/ Brake steering? #6  
Kevin/MJB,
I also agree with MJB, and this WAS a factor in my choice of JD over Kubota.

If Kevin's dealer stressed the poor-design of the "same-side" hst/brakes, mine didn't have-to, ... I was already turned off by it. Such an obvious screw-up made me wonder what ELSE (maybe-not-so-apparent) was designed using the same "thinking". Maybe nothing, ...but I didn't like wondering.

The (several) Kubota dealer's I pointed this out to didn't make any points with their "you don't need it anyway", dismissal of the issue. /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

I'll decide if I need it. And every major tractor mfg. (with a heck-of-a-lot more tractor savvy than I have), has included them, at some definte expense, and probably, for a reason. INCLUDING KUBOTA! "Hey, nobody needs this, but let's put it on our tractor anyway!" I don't think so.

It's an embarrasing screw-up, and I'd prefer the dealers to just admit it. (like the poorly designed "old-style"front axles on the JD 4000 series, that have been changed.) Well, not JUST admit it, ... admit it and then CHANGE it.

In my mind, there's no excuse to continue marketing a product with obviously -poorly-designed features.

It's "polite" to not-mention this when talking to "owners:", and I don't. But I think prospective new buyers deserve honest opinions, and this is mine.

From the many "satisfied" reports on TBN from knowledgeable/respected members, I'm sure that Kubota makes a great tractor overall.

But, concerning this "turning-brake" issue, I'm still waiting for ANYONE to make "good sense" of it!? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Larry

/ Brake steering? #7  
Larry,

I certainly agree with many of your points. But let me give a "tractor newbie" view on this issue. I'm going to use my tractor for keeping several acres' grass under control, maintaining a driveway, tilling a garden, and mowing a fairly large lawn. My very limited /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif understanding of brake steering is that it was originally created in order to facilitate a tighter turn when working in the fields (plowing, harrowing or whatever). I certainly would never want to use it on my lawn or driveway. I can see it being potentially useful when tilling a garden (?).

Having said that, I certainly agree that the design on the Kubota and other major colors (various models) is hard to figure out. I suppose if I really wanted to brake steer I could do so with the hyrdo locked on cruise. I'm going on memory here but I believe the manual for my B2410 specifically stated that hitting either the left or right brake does not shut off the "cruise". In order to do so you have to depress both pedals. This would suggest that if I was tilling a garden I could lock the hydro in at some nice slow speed, till along then hit the appropriate brake to assist the turn. Two right feet not required /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I have yet to try this (in fact I have yet to try much at all!) and don't know if I ever will...but perhaps others have and can comment.

I would think it is still in Kubota's best interest to address this down the road but I certainly don't see it as a major flaw that should force the whole brand to be "ruled out".

Kevin

/ Brake steering? #8  
Hi Kevin,

[[[I would think it is still in Kubota's best interest to address this down the road but I certainly don't see it as a major flaw that should force the whole brand to be "ruled out".]]]

I hope I made it clear (as I tried-to, with one of my last sentences) that I don't doubt that Kubota (for example ) makes fine tractors "overall". But this thread addresses "brake-steering", and with that in mind, I stand by my remarks.

The fact that there is a "work-around" is nice, but is not the same as a "fix". Some may wish to control their speed with-their-foot while "brake-turning", ...cruise-control is definitely not "YOU-control".

I'm glad that you don't feel this one element is of much consequence to you. Enjoy your tractor, whatever brand /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

This factor was certainly-not the only reason for my personal (admittedly subjective - like everyone else's) choice of a JD.

Best wishes,

Larry /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Brake steering? #9  
Larry,

Just out of curiousity what JD did you purchase? Can't find a profile for you! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Kevin

/ Brake steering? #10  
Kevin, you're right, you can brake steer using the cruise and I've done it occasionally. The cruise only releases if you hit both brake pedals. And there is also another way it can be done. The cruise does not release when you depress the clutch, so you can have the throttle AND cruise set and control speed with the clutch (I wouldn't recommend that for a great deal of use, of course). Fact is that I'm among those for whom brake steering is not all that important so I'm satisfied with my Kubota, but I agree with the others that having individual brake pedals on the left would be nice occasionally, so long as there's still a brake pedal on the right, too. I'm afraid in an emergency situation, most of us are going to stomp with our right foot instead of the left./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird