Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid

/ Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid #1  

gdrew

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 2400h
Hello, I'm getting ready to do a HST/Hydraulic filter & fluid change on my Branson 2400h and was wondering if there are good quality suitable "after market" fluids available?

The following is an excerpt from the Service Manual (00 series - Chassis) found on this site, thank you to whoever posted it here!

Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid - Branson origin oil
-Texaco TDH oil, 1893
-Chevron Tractor HYD Fluid

I don't have the luxury of having a Branson dealer anywhere near me but there are lots of other shopping options such as Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire etc. I looked at the Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire selection yesterday but didn't see any Texaco or Chevron oils.

Just wondering if there are any other suitable brands and perhaps brands/types to be avoided such as 303?

These are two of the products I saw yesterday.
E9bqri4.jpg

5RwPQuX.jpg

9QepWhs.jpg

L4SoT5i.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid #2  
The first set of pictures show a hydraulic oil, which is NOT suitable for use in a tractor transmission / hydraulic sump.

The SuperTech product IS intended for tractor transmission / hydraulic use, but I was not able to read the lable to see what specs it meets.

/ Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid #3  
The easiest spec to look for would be that a product exceeds JD Hygard C for hydraulic and transmission.

Hy-Gard oil can be used in most applications calling for 10W-30 or 5W-30 engine oil for transmission and hydraulic oils. Note: Hy-Gard should be used in all applications calling for JDM J20C

/ Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid #4  
"premium" tractor fluid should have the right additives for our wet brakes and PTO clutches. Those are missing from hydraulic fluid.

I could not get the Texaco or Chevron stuff locally (my manual says Chevron THF1000). I ended up with Mobilfluid 424 which is very similar to THF1000 according to the data sheets. I found it on Amazon.

Napa stores can get THF1000 but I think you need to be in an area with enough ag. The stores down in the city here didn't want to deal with it.

/ Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid
Okay, thanks guys I'll put out a few more feelers and see if I can find something over the weekend. This seems more complicated than it needs to be. I suppose that's just the way it is when you're new at...well anything.

I figured the WWW would have a cross reference list when I search for Texaco TDH oil, 1893 of other equivalent brands, but things aren't always as simple as they sometimes seem.

/ Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid #6  
It isn't really that complicated. If you search the threads you will find all sorts of people saying you should only use "this" brand because it is far superior to "that" brand. I would not place much credence on those types of comments. As Rj mentioned, hydraulic fluid is not the same as Universal Tractor Fluid. Other than that, if it is listed as "universal tractor fluid", is most likely OK. In the US, SuperTech does meet the specs. Premium name brands such as Texaco or Vavoline are are probably safer if you don't want to check out the specs in detail. But I always used the less expensive store brands that usually cost a lot less, and have never had a Tractor Fluid related problem in thousands of hours of tractor use. If Canadian Tire didn't have what you need in stock at almost every store, I'd be highly surprised.

/ Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid #7  
The easiest spec to look for would be that a product exceeds JD Hygard C for hydraulic and transmission.

Hy-Gard oil can be used in most applications calling for 10W-30 or 5W-30 engine oil for transmission and hydraulic oils. Note: Hy-Gard should be used in all applications calling for JDM J20C

That's the spec I look for and if any spec is on the can, J20C will be the one. Yes, 303 is not for hydrostatic steering or tranny applications. TSC Premium TDH fluid is a suitable fluid and the one I am currently using where Premium is required.

On the front gearbox, my 2016 2400 owner's manual specifically states 90w gear oil and the fill plug on the gearbox even has 90W embossed on it. That's a change in thinking from 2007 where my 6530 OM was listed as the same oil as is used elsewhere (excepting for engine lube).

/ Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid
Texasmark;5657364) On the front gearbox said:
I was advised that 80w90 was suitable even though my 2400 also has 90w embossed on the fill plug.

/ Branson 2400h - Transmission, Steering, Front axle fluid #9  
I was advised that 80w90 was suitable even though my 2400 also has 90w embossed on the fill plug.

I'm using a synthetic 75W-140 at the present time have used the 80W-90 often.