Branson 4020 hard at work

/ Branson 4020 hard at work #1  

sassafraspete

Platinum Member
not heaven but you can see it from here... Brown C
Tractor
Branson (kukje) 4020, 40hp turbo
Well, we had a great weekend here. The winds and warm weather are finally drying things out enough that I could do some backhoe / fel work. First I had to change some equipment around...like drop the front plow and rear box blade...and then I had to remount my backhoe. That took me awhile...as it was my first time...but was pretty painless. I started a project to clear a wooded area for a future barn. I dug up the root systems on several trees and pushed them over. Did some 7-8 inch oak, and eastern red cedar. All in all, it was a pretty satisfying weekend. Took some pictures of the Branson at work....

sassafras

Attachments

• 383918-tree6.jpg
    383918-tree6.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 449
   / Branson 4020 hard at work #4  
Great pictures! Looks like some of the same things I have been doing the past few weeks. My rig is orange, but the color doesn't matter... the work is just as much fun regardless. I have not taken the hoe off since it was delivered, mostly because it would have to sit outdoors, but I am going to have to break down and get the 3 pt. implements going soon.

Are you doing selective clearing or do you need open space?

/ Branson 4020 hard at work
Granddad... I've seen your outfit. Looks like a pretty stable rig in those hills. I had plans to build a pole barn 20 yrs ago when I built my house...but cut it out of my budget as I needed to spend the money on the house. Been kicking myself every since then. The pictures are decieving...as there is a bit of a slope (nothing is flat on my place). I chose this spot as it is closer to my house...but I need to do a lot of clearing and leveling. I like trees, so try to minimize the amount I take down. Spent most of today knocking down the smaller stuff so I could move around in there. When I get the smaller stuff cleared out... I will be tackling the larger stuff you see in the pictures. I have several poplar, a few oaks, and some pretty good sized eastern red cedar...some of which I will have sawn into lumber. Great time of yr to do this kind of work.

pete

/ Branson 4020 hard at work #6  
Seems like many of us end up going down similar paths with these things. When we first bought our land a couple years ago, the budget would not allow for a full-size pole barn, so I tried my hand at a do-it-myself interim tractor shed (14x24), down in the woods where only the neighbors would know it was there. Took me over a year of weekends, but it's now finished, basically for the cost of the materials. That's the good news.

The bad news is I found out belatedly how big this backhoe is. The tractor, FEL and hoe need a 21' parking space and that's with the hoe locked in the transport position. Parking it dropped to the ground, it would extend to about 28', so that doesn't happen!

Now we are moving ahead with a 24x36 horse barn, next year will be the workshop and if we're not in the poorhouse by then, the following year we'll build the house. For the shop, there is about 1/2 acre of trees to clear, and like you, I want to save as many of the hardwoods as possible.

My only advice is "make everything twice as big as you think you'll need and it will all probably fit"!

Please have fun and be safe with your tree clearing and construction!

/ Branson 4020 hard at work
Granddad, I hear what you are saying on the size issue. Nearly everyone I talk to says they wish they had built a bigger garage or barn. I had that same discussion with my neighbor over the weekend. He came over to look at my tractor, and as we gazed back over at his expanded barn with all manor of equipment stuffed in it...it was evident he could use more space.

I haven't decided on a size, construction method, or what it is going to look like yet.... I just have some general ideas. My first steps are just to prepare the site, make a road to it. With the leaves off , it is a good time to see the lay of the land. I love to build things, but at my own pace. Sometimes the size of the end task is overwhelming...you just have to think one stick at a time. I was fortunate to work in construction for a few yrs while going to school, and learned the basics. I'm a little rusty, but I am sure I will get back into it pretty easily. I am looking forward to using the tractor as a helper in this venture.

My wife has this theory about junk expanding to take up all available space....no matter how big of space you have. For example , a big refrigerator just means more moldy, hairy left overs. If she is correct, you could never build a barn big enough. I will try to keep safe, especially with the trees, as I learned long ago to listen to my instincts.
good luck with your projects as well.

sassafraspete