Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk"

/ Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk" #1  

KS_Trout

Tractor
Branson 4815H
New member here. I have a Branson 4815H that I bought last year. So either a 2023 0r old 2022. I'm not sure. I have only about 12 hours to date on it, and this problem has always been present.

I've got a weird thing going on.... and it seems that I am not alone. Some folks have it, some don't. I want to be one of the folks who don't. I have the tractor in for warranty repair now, and the shop is telling me "Branson says this is normal for the H models of the 4815". I think that is BS. Given that there are folks whose tractors do not exhibit this issue, I'm not buying it as normal operation.

Here is the issue. If my 3pt is all the way down, and I ever so slightly start to raise it up, the lift does not follow the position of the input lever. When I start to move the lever slowly, there is initially no movement on the 3pt. Then after I continue to move the lever the 3pt will slam upward an inch or so, and come to a hard stop. If I have an implement on the back, it causes the whole tractor to shake hard. If I have something like an auger on the back or an implement that is a little bit "long" behind the tractor, it throws the implement up with enough force that it bounces hard behind the tractor.

This continues as long as I move the lever slowly. If I pull the lever all the way to the top, the lift smoothly pulls up and stops at the top. No jerking.

There is no way that this is how this is supposed to work. The stresses this puts on the frame just from the shock alone is a lot. Consider the safety associated with adjusting things as well. Watching my auger launch upwards is disconcerting.

I found a thread on here from 2016 about a piston ring issue which sounds somewhat related. This has to do with a load bouncing at full lift and leakdown issues : Branson 2810 Three Point Hitch (TPH) Hiccup/Bouncing/Jumping fixed

Has anyone had this jerky lift issue?

PS... i have tried this with the seat knob for drop speed at various settings. No help. I have checked my hydraulic oil level, it is touching the dipstick. The front loader and the drive train work normally. Happens whether it is hot or cold. Happens with heavy loads and light loads. I gotta think this is a 3pt valve problem. Warranty repair shop doesnt seem to care :-(

/ Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk" #2  
Hello and welcome to TBN. My 4815C is the same way. Has been from day 1. It doesn’t bother me as I have learned to work around it and don’t even notice it anymore. Mine is not the H model so whoever told you it was limited to HST is incorrect. Besides the HST and 3pt are separate systems and only share the same fluid.

I do not think anything is wrong. It is just the nature of that valve.

/ Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk" #3  
My MF1540 is that way sometimes too. It just may be the nature of the beast…..

It depends on your rpms too when you’re lifting. I think it was usually more “jerky” if the rpms were higher.

/ Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk" #4  
It may help a little bit to adjust/reduce the friction on the lever.

I set mine light enough to move that it doesn't move on it's own with vibration and that helped a lot doing small adjustments instead. Before I had to slightly bump the lever, now I just it the tip of my fingers.

Won't change anything on the valve to reduce that jerkiness but makes it easier to use for sure.

Mine is a 2017 F36Rn, equivalent to the 3515R. Although, I'm pretty sure the entire 3pt system is the exact same between the 15 and 20 series.

Also, like K5 said, H or R doesn't matter and doesn't change anything on the 3 pt. It does change how it operates in a way that with the R, I let it idle to do minor adjustments and them rev up again as need with the foot throttle. While with the H, people typically set those RPMs high with the handle throttle and never move it.

/ Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk" #5  
Mine can be like that on my 4820, but I just move the lever in one movement where I want it, which eliminated this. Also, RPM makes a difference... If I'm at PTO RPM, it's faster

Last edited:
   / Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk" #6  
My 3725 (basically a 20 series) doesn't do that. I can move the level in small increments and the implement does not jerk up.

Reducing the tension on the friction clutch on the lever makes it easier to move the lever in small increments. It's double nutted I think 12mm on the pivot of the lever, under the floor. On mine I can reach it from the back of the machine.

/ Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk"
Ericm979 is proof that this should not be the means by which these operate. Other forums / groups have folks who are likewise say they have it / say they don't. I can move the adjust lever in small / slow increments. Doesn't matter until I get it to a large enough change, and then the 3pt hurls itself upwards. I want to be able to ease that back end up, especially when working with an auger, but also with a box blade.

From what I have read, there are some with brand spanking new 4815H tractors which are able to feather that 3pt upwards without violent jumps.

I'm hoping somebody knows the fix.....

/ Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk" #8  
Some call it a flaw, some call it a feature

/ Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk" #9  
The 20 series and 15 series might have a different valve. You'd need to get the parts diagrams and check. I think they're all available in the manuals thread in the Branson section here.

Of course its possible that something is wrong. The position control is more complex than the old style quarter inching valve, so there's more that could go wrong.

/ Branson 4815H 3 point "Jerk" #10  
Any chance that we can see a video of what's happening?